Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Leaving SoCal and making an eastern loop

I have been planning a trip with a couple of friends to head east for about 10 days this July. The farthest east I think we are going to go is Mt. Rushmore just outside Rapid City in South Dakota.

Our proposed Itinerary is as follows:

Los Angeles, CA to Carson City NV
    Carson City to YellowStone
    YellowStone to Mt. Rushmore
    Mt. Rushmore to Four Corners (By way of Denver, CO)
    Four Corners to Grand Canyon
    Grand Canyon to Phoenix, AZ
    Phoenix, AZ to Los Angeles

Now we pass through a lot of states on the way, I just thought I would throw up a thread to see if anyone had any ideas of other places to see on the way as well as places to eat, and stay in between destination..

2. Default

Hey everyone, I'm one of ZeroG's friend's that also going on the trip.

Here's our planned map as well:

© Microsoft® Streets & Trips

This looks like a MS Streets & Trips Map -- so Copyright notice is hereby noticed.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 04-26-2007 at 09:07 AM. Reason: format

Default Your East, My West

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Your trip looks like it should be fun and packed full of things that you could do. I would recommend cutting Phoenix out of your trip, since it would require you to backtrack from the Grand Canyon.

In fact, I might leave out the Grand Canyon and save it for another trip. Since it is relatively close, you could even go out there on a long weekend trip. That would give you more time to focus on Yellowstone, the Black Hills, and the Colorado Rockies. You're going to have to keep moving just to fit all those things in during a 10 day trip anyway, I wouldn't try to overreach just to fit everything into one short time period.

Default Michael always gives good advice!

I totally agree with him. Drop Phoenix unless there's some compelling reason why you need to stop there this trip, like visiting relatives or something. Save the Grand Canyon for another trip, and take the time to really enjoy Wyoming, South Dakota, and Colorado. You could easily spend your entire time in any of these places.

Just a few things off the top of my head:

Wyoming: Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Cody, Devil's Tower, and the forts and other "wild west" things to see in places like Gillette, Cheyenne, and Laramie.

South Dakota: Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood, the Badlands and Black Hills, Wall Drug, Wounded Knee, Crazy Horse Memorial, Wind Cave NP

Colorado: Estes NP, Rocky Mountain NP, the Million Dollar Highway, Mesa Verde NP, Aspen, Great Sand Dunes NM, Leadville and the great drive along the spine of the Rockies, Durango

If you wait until you have time for another longer vacation to do the Grand Canyon, you could also see Zion, Bryce, and the other amazing sites in Utah and make it a really spectacular trip on its own.

Default Hotel Nevada in Ely

Quote Originally Posted by bmwe30is View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm one of ZeroG's friend's that also going on the trip.
    On your trip back into Nevada -- make a point of staying overnight at the Hotel Nevada in Ely. Some of the rooms are haunted and all of the theme rooms are a hoot. Here is a field report from the area!

Mark

Thanks for all the feedback, we'll your comments into consideration in further planning sessions.

A Haunted Hotel sounds good, but it is on the other side of the state. I might have to figure out how we can add this in.....

Keep it coming.......

BTW.. Thanks for the warm welcome....

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Just a few things off the top of my head:

Wyoming: Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Cody, Devil's Tower, and the forts and other "wild west" things to see in places like Gillette, Cheyenne, and Laramie.

South Dakota: Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood, the Badlands and Black Hills, Wall Drug, Wounded Knee, Crazy Horse Memorial, Wind Cave NP

Colorado: Estes NP, Rocky Mountain NP, the Million Dollar Highway, Mesa Verde NP, Aspen, Great Sand Dunes NM, Leadville and the great drive along the spine of the Rockies, Durango
    Ok, so our first question, which of those are the ones that would be "have-to-see"?

All the stops you listed are pretty on / near our current route, so we're more than happy to change it to see those stops.

Thanks!

ZeroG + BMW
    Last edited by bmwe30is; 05-13-2007 at 10:58 PM.

Default Only you can answer that

Everybody's must-sees are different. These would all be must-sees to me. I think I would have to flip a coin. I suggest you do some googling to learn more about these various places and then make your best guess. That's about the best any of us can do.

If they all sound intriguing, maybe you should limit this trip to just 1-2 of the states you plan on visiting and then make another trip to the state you dropped next year. Just a thought...

Enjoy!

Default Judy is right, as usual

Yep, she pretty well nailed it. If you are going all the way to South Dakota, pass by the close stuff and get there as fast as you can. I don't know if it is faster to forget Tahoe/Carson City and go via Las Vegas, but it might be.

From LA you can easily do a Grand Canyon loop over a long weekend, and the parks in Utah are worth visiting, but they aren't that far either.

You need to leave some extra time for Yellowstone, Tetons, Black Hills, etc. (don't forget Craters of the Moon NP in Idaho, on Hwy 20, an alternative to the Interstate) You won't likely be this far from home again any time soon.

From Loveland Colorado you can head west through the town of Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park, then south through the town of Winter Park to Georgetown on I-70, and down to Denver. That makes a nice loop.

In Colorado Springs you want to stop at Garden of the Gods and the town of Manitou Springs. If you have time, the drive up Pikes Peak is great! (14,110 feet high, you can do it in a car).

From there, when you get to Salida go west, not south. See the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, then from Montrose go south through Ouray to Silverton and on to Durango. Much more dramatic and unique. You won't believe the road from Ouray south (the Million Dollar Highway that Judy mentioned).

She also mentioned the fort in Laramie...that is Fort Laramie in Fort Laramie, WY, not Laramie, Wyoming (mucho confusing).

I'm curious about the swing out to Winslow, Arizona. Other than the great restaurant/hotel next to the railroad tracks, why go there?

Again, I agree that unless you have a compelling reason to do the Flagstaff, Phoenix loop, skip it. Use the time further north, far from home.

Craig

10. Default

Hey everyone, sorry for the late response. We've been finishing up planning and such for the trip, which is in 2 weeks :)

Here's our "final" route.

© Microsoft® Streets & Trips
    This looks like a MS Streets & Trips Map -- so Copyright notice is hereby noticed.

We decided to toss out the Grand Canyon as you had suggested and save that for a weekend trip.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-19-2007 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Added copyright notice