1. Default San Francisco to Vegas: most scenic Route

We are spending three days in San Francisco 27-30 May (flying in from London) and need to be in Vegas 3-8 June. I am undecided what to do in the middle. I would like to see Yosemite/Mammoth but can't decide whether to go via the coast and then head inland (is this possible)? Are Yosemite/Mammoth close?I was considering possibly staying either in Tenaya Lodge in Fish Camp, Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal or Mammoth Mountain Inn (or the like). Four Seasons is my hotel of choice in Vegas - a bit extravagent but it is a BIG birthday.
    I have no desire to see LA although I would like to see some of the canyons. We plan to do a flight over the Grand Canyon but could we do any scenic day trips from Vegas?
    Any advice please?

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Las Vegas to Grand Canyon is about 5 - 5 1/2 hours, which while doable in a day, would be a very long day when you include traveling out, visiting the park, and driving back.

This area is extremely popular on these forums, so much of what you are looking for will probably have been covered at this point. Here is a good starting thread, and our search tool will also provide you with much more information.

3. Default A Shorter Drive From Vegas...

I recommend both Lake Mead and Valley of Fire State Park. You can go southeast out of Vegas, take a quick look at the Hoover Dam (or a tour, if you'd like), and then proceed northeast through the Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Just north of Echo Bay, you'll see a sign for Valley of Fire State Park. Take the left, and spend some time exploring the stunning red sandstone formations. It's a pretty amazing sight, even if you've been through canyon country before. You should also stop at the restaurant at the Echo Bay Resort for lunch. They're good people over there (food is pretty decent, too.)

If you leave after breakfast, you can spend significant time at both places and easily be back before dark.

Good hiking,