1. Default San Francisco to Lone Pine - Independence

Driving on Friday from San Francisco out to the old Manzanar World War 2 Japanese American Concentration Camp near Lone Pine and Independence. Kids can't leave school until Friday 2pm. Am I better off going through the traffic to Sacramento and 80 to 395? Or do I save any time going through Stockton and taking 88 to 395? How slow is 88? Or do I get into Tahoe traffic and take 50? We'll spend the night along the way, probably in Bishop.

I have to return in one day on Sunday. Again do I brave the Reno-Sacramento-Tahoe traffic jam and take 80 or 50 after 395? Or is 88 a better bet? Thanks for any advice you may have, the kids are great travelers but they do get a little cranky sometimes when it has been way too long!

Default It's too bad the Sonora Pass is still closed

Quote Originally Posted by afa7 View Post
    Driving on Friday from San Francisco out to the old Manzanar World War 2 Japanese American Concentration Camp near Lone Pine and Independence.
    I just checked and Sonora Pass CA-108 is still closed, otherwise, that would have been my #1 recommendation. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I would take US-50 and then use the Pioneer Trail to by pass the worst traffic and take the "short-cut" Kingsbury Grade to US-395. Both Monitor and Kit Carson Passes are open CA-89, but they won't save you any time over US-50 to US-395
    Or do I save any time going through Stockton and taking 88 to 395?
    CA-88 is a real pretty road, but US-50 will be faster!
    We'll spend the night along the way, probably in Bishop.
    That would be my recommendation.
    I have to return in one day on Sunday. Again do I brave the Reno-Sacramento-Tahoe traffic jam and take 80 or 50 after 395? Or is 88 a better bet?
    I think I would go the other way. South on US-395 to CA-14 to CA-58 to I-5 and cut back to San Francisco on either CA-152 at Los Banos or I-205. And, in fact, it might well be faster both directions to go the southern route!

Mark