1. Default SF-LA-Las Vegas-Yosemite as cheap as possible

Hi all, we will drive this route using two weeks from June 23.

How much do we have to plan in advance? Is it necessary to book all hotels/motels/hostels before leave norway? Or is it ok to decide on the fly?

Do you recommend sleeping in tent? Or is it too hot? Or too dangerous? Is it necessary to book tent spots before arriving?

We want to do this roadtrip as cheap as possible, do you have any tips and tricks to share?

Default Lots of resources and ideas for you!

Quote Originally Posted by norwegian student View Post
    Hi all, we will drive this route using two weeks from June 23.
    Sounds like a great time to be on the road -- Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    How much do we have to plan in advance? Is it necessary to book all hotels/motels/hostels before leave norway? Or is it ok to decide on the fly?
    It all comes down to how much adventure or risk you want to have on this trip. If it were me, I would just see what happens.
    Do you recommend sleeping in tent? Or is it too hot? Or too dangerous? Is it necessary to book tent spots before arriving?
    It will be very hot in Las Vegas, reasonably cool elsewhere. Here are some tips for you:

Choosing a Tent
    A whole bunch of posts about your route
    Low-cost roadtripping
    Some more tips for cutting the costs
    An overview of budgeting information
    Some more tips for cutting costs
    Use this fuel calculator for estimating fuel costs

Mark

3. Default thanks

thanks for your quick reply! although there are a lot of posts and topics on this route I would like to have some more detailed information on how much I have to plan in advance. Is there a chance that I arrive (e.g.) Monterey, Carmel, Santa Barbara, St monica, Las Vegas and all hotels/hostels/motels are crowded? Or that all the cheap alternatives are fully booked, such that I have to stay at a luxury hotel?

Default Yes and no

Quote Originally Posted by norwegian student View Post
    Is there a chance that I arrive (e.g.) Monterey, Carmel, Santa Barbara, St monica, Las Vegas and all hotels/hostels/motels are crowded?
    Well, there is no "cheap" lodging available in Carmel at all. I think you might be wise to pre-book inexpensive hostels.

Mark