Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default San Diego to San Francisco

Hi, I'm from London and know nothing about the West coast of America except that I want to go there. I am planning to drive from San Diego to San Francisco middle of May this year (very soon). I'm not too fussed about L.A but dont want to miss Yosemite. I'm limited to 2 weeks and a few days but think it can be done. I really dont want to zoom past any fantastic sights or miss any adventures. Please RTA any should dos or must sees? Trying to plan how long in which place is proving really hard!!! Lu-Lu xxxxxxxxx

Default Lot of resources and ideas for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Lu-Lu View Post
    Hi, I'm from London and know nothing about the West coast of America except that I want to go there.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! We have some ideas for you. For starters, please read the posts in the list we have compiled for you here. Be sure to always look at the bottom of the page for more ideas. How long will you have for this driving adventure?

Mark

3. Default

oh my goodness!! I didnt realise so many people had already asked exactly the same question.....research Lu-Lu!! The previous threads have been wonderfully helpful. I'm going for 2 weeks and a few days and that seems fine I think. One other question though, driving from San Diego up the coast where would you come off to go to Yosemite. I dont want to double back really but also dont want to miss out. Lu-Lu xx

Default Going inland

I think you'll want to follow the coast at least as far as the Monterey area.

You could head inland via CA-152 through Los Banos to CA-59, and take that North to Merced. Then take CA-140 right into Yosemite.

5. Default

Thanks Michael that seems ideal. I was curious about Santa Cruz but from what I have read on this website I really shouldn't bother. Best use the time to get to Yosemite hey. Have you driven that stretch through Los Banos? does it take long? (I'll have to curb my speedy English ways I know!) x Lu-Lu

Default What have you read?

I was curious about Santa Cruz but from what I have read on this website I really shouldn't bother.
    I am pretty curious about what you could have read here that would result in that opinion. Santa Cruz and the associated coastline is gorgeous and some of the best places to see starfish and sea lions in the western hemisphere. Click here to see some otters and a starfish I shot near Santa Cruz.
    Have you driven that stretch through Los Banos?
    I have probably driven it ~ 50 times in the last decade. It is a good highway.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-23-2007 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added a link to photos

7. Default

Hi Mark, thats good to hear. I was under the impression that the boardwalk was quite nice but the town itself and the streets off the boardwalk were not so nice. One of the guide books I have said that those areas were rather dangerous? If thats not the case and you think its a "not to be missed" location then I'll gladly add it to the list. This is why I want to get lots of opinions, having never been I dont know the area at all. Lu-Lu xx

Default Take a look at Dan's gallery

This is why I want to get lots of opinions, having never been I dont know the area at all.
    Dan is one of the regular RTA photo contributors and has an extensive photo gallery from the Santa Cruz area -- take a look and see what interests youand then we can provide some more info.

Mark

9. Default wow!!

He's very talented isn't he, gosh it looks amazing. I had a look through all his images and Carmel looks stunning. Is that in Monterey or is that a place on its own, I cant seem to find it on the map? Probably just being thick. I may extend the trip and drive up to Portland. Worth while? or just stick to San Fran what do you think? xx

Default 2 weeks is enough for Portland, if you want.

Like any trip, that is a subjective issue. You can easily take 2 weeks to explore only to San Francisco and you would have a great trip. You could also go all the way to Portland (I would suggest driving the coast if you do this) in 2 weeks as well. Either way works. It all depends on how much time you want to spend driving vs. hiking, relaxing in beautiful places, exploring, etc. There are people who don't mind spending 6-8 hours in the car driving every day and some who only want to drive 2 hours max. Which of these feels right for you?