Default Las Vegas to Palm Springs via H 95

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advise if possible, me and my wife are hoildaying in the US from April 30th for two weeks starting in Las Vegas then travelling down to Palm Springs on a Sunday.

I've driven the I15 before from LA to LV and back, but would like to take highway 95 this time.

Can anyone recommend this route as being more scenic, and is it a good /bad idea?.

Are there any pitfalls too take into consideration?

Any help would be greatly appriecated

Paul

Default Scenic Yes; Direct No

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

While you can get from Las Vegas to Palm Springs by starting out on US-95 south, and I am personally fond of places with desolate beauty such as this road traverses, it will take considerably longer to make the journey by going this way. Still it has its rewards. Initially, US-95 runs parallel to the southern part of the Lake Mead National Recreation Area with access to Lake Mojave. Another option is to take NV-164 from Searchlight west into California where it becomes Nipton Rd., then 9 or 10 miles into California turn south on Ivanpah Rd, Morning Star Mine Rd and Kelso Cima Rd through the Mojave National Preserve to Kelso. There is lots to experience in this region, a land so 'otherworldly' that it is used as a stand-in for other planets in sci-fi movies. From Kelso, continue south on Kelbaker Rd to Amboy and then on to Twenty Nine Palms for one final scenic drive on the loop road through Joshua Tree National Park before heading into Palm Springs on CA-62. You will need a good map to find and follow some of these roads, and it will take considerably longer than just hopping on I-15 and speeding down the highway, but it will, absolutely, be scenic.

AZBuck

Cheers matey, sounds like it will be worth it.

Whilst I15 will as you say get us there quicker, I would rather spend a couple of hours longer getting there and seeing more of your country's awesome scenery.

Hopefully we wont get lost !

Paul

Default More options

Quote Originally Posted by paule View Post
    Can anyone recommend this route as being more scenic, and is it a good /bad idea?.
    Paul, In addition to AZBuck's excellent suggestions (above) here are some ideas:

US-95 has been improved in the last 2-3 years and is four-lane, higher speed roadway than in the past. It provides an awesome view of the basin and range geography that is typical of this state. There are some really cool side-trips you can take, if you have time.

1. The first part of the trip, the road runs right down the center of the El Dorado Valley and if you look off to your left (east) those are the famous El Dorado Mountains which used to contain some of the richest gold ore deposits in the United States. The first side trip comes up when you reach NV-165 to the small semi-Ghost town of Nelson. Shortly pass Nelson, you will pass the remnants of the Techatticup gold mine -- there is a small gift store nearby -- should you need a break -- but I recommend driving to the end of the paved road, near the banks of the Colorado River. If there is any chance of wildflowers while you are in town, they will be here. Reversing your path you can either drive back to US-95 on the paved road, or drive west on the graded, dirt (excellent condition) that goes through the mountains, where you can still see a variety of mining artifacts and working mines and back down to US-95

2. The only pitfall I would warn about is to FOLLOW THE SPEED LIMITS IN SEARCHLIGHT. A small mining town as you go south on US-95.

3. Christmas Tree Pass road is another graded, gravel road that is gorgeous and brings you to Grapevine Canyon. You can also reach Grapevine Canyon by turning east on NV-163 (the road to Laughlin) and turning north on Christmas Tree Pass road.

4. Route 66. Shortly before you get to I-40 you can turn west on historic Route 66 and stop by the historic schoolhouse at Goffs before heading on west to Amboy and the Amboy Shoe Tree. I also like the drive down Amboy Road to Twentynine Palms. And the onto Palm Springs on CA-62

Like AZBuck mentioned, this is a more time-consuming route -- but it is lots of fun.

Mark

Mark, thank you, your description sounds exactly the type of drive we want.

Would you know how long this trip would take, (not exactly of course but generally) as we only have two nights in Palm Springs and if it means that we'll be on the road for 8- 10hrs then we may have to rethink.

Many Thanks

Paul