1. Default San Francisco-Vegas via Yosemite in 1 day?

G?day roadtrippers:

As a post-graduation celebration I?m heading from Stanford to Vegas in June with family and friends from New Zealand. I?ve driven to Vegas from San Francisco in 1 day via the 5 which was fine. But I?ve heard that it?s also possible to get to Vegas from the eastern side of Yosemite. We don?t have time to stay at Yosemite but it?s such a beautiful slice of the US that I would love to take my guests there en route to Vegas if at all possible.

So my question is: could we drive from Stanford to Vegas via Yosemite in one day (say 12-14 hours)? If so, could someone please suggest an appropriate route?

I?ve driven from Vancouver to San Fran in a single trip so long distances aren?t a major issue.

I drove last year from San Francisco through Yosemite to Fresno and it was a good twelve hours. Vegas looks, at a glance, to be about twice as far, so I'd be concerned about getting all the way to Vegas in a day. It's easy to underestimate - from just the mileage alone - how much the gradients through the mountains can slow you down.

Mapquest suggests 600 miles and twelve and a half hours SF-LV via Yosemite, but on the two trips I planned with Mapquest last summer I ended up taking 50% longer than they suggested (which really wasn't because I'm inclined to drive slowly - just due to getting stuck behind slow-moving RVs with no opportunity to pass, etc), so I'd be surprised if you managed it in less than maybe 16 hours.

As for route, the 680 up to Dublin, then east on the 580 sets you up for the nicest approach to Yosemite (I gather) through Tracey, Manteca, Escalon, Oakdale etc to arrive via route 120. As I said though, this route is not quick (but it is beautiful).

Looks like you could choose from there to go through Death Valley National Park which by all accounts is worth seeing but whether that would slow you down so much as to make the trip unfeasible I'm not sure.

Hope the trip goes well!

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Tioga Pass could be open by then!

Quote Originally Posted by kina View Post
    As a post-graduation celebration I?m heading from Stanford to Vegas in June
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! If Tioga Pass is open (CA-120) then you can drive through a section of Yosemite on your way to Las Vegas. The most direct route east of the mountains is this one and described here by one of Megan's solo trips. It can be a long day -- but done in about 10 hours. (Unless you stop and enjoy the stunning scenery you will be driving through...)

I have also done it several times using I-5, like you have and also the route through Death Valley -- the Death Valley route takes about 11 hours.

4. Default

Thanks both for your excellent advice. Much appreciated. Either way Iʻm sure the guests be impressed by the awesome scenery.