Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best RV for long solo trip?

This is my first post here, but I've been reading threads here for a few months!

I am planning a long solo trip all around the US and canada. I won't be starting until early 2009, but I am already planning. I was wondering what you think is the best rv for a solo female traveler? I know that I want something with a bathroom and kitchen, but I know I don't need much space. I'm not sure if I should go with a class b or class c, or any other type out there. I want something that will be easy to handle.

Also, I've had a lot of experience with Class A's in the past, but obviously as a solo traveler I will not need anything that large (nor would I want to drive one while alone).

Thanks!
    Melanie

Default Simplest is Indeed Best

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I think you'd be most comfortable with a "Class B Motorhome". These are basically van conversions with kitchen/cooking facilities, a toilet and/or shower, convertible furniture (beds/seating) and some storage. The beauty of them, especially for first time RVers, is that they entail no extension or widening of the standard van chassis and so are relatively easy to drive right off the bat. Seems that something along those lines is just what you're looking for. Be sure to have a look at our many pages of RV tips

AZBuck

Default Probably the class B

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieMC View Post
    I'm not sure if I should go with a class b or class c, or any other type out there. I want something that will be easy to handle.
    I have driven all types and I think that class As are the easiest to drive because the engineering is better. If I were considering a smaller RV I would look at the Chinook brand -- here is some more info about the various types and the advantages of each.

Mark

Default Try 'em out first!

You have a lot of time to plan this. If I were you, I'd visit lots of RV sales places to get a feel for what you like. Or visit an RV show with scads of brands and models. Then I'd rent the type you like the best for some weekend trips. Heck, a week would be better if you can swing it. I really think that's the best way to figure it out. This is something you'll be living in for awhile and you really need to be comfortable with driving it, maneuvering it to park, and living in it. A really bad choice could have a negative impact on your trip. So choose carefully and take your time doing it.

We've done the truck/camper and truck/trailer thing. It was great for shorter jaunts and when we were going to stay in one place for awhile but I hated driving them. My in-laws have had a Class A and a Class C. We've traveled with them and I've driven both. Not for me. I like something smaller with more maneuverability. I'll admit though, if I was going to full-time for a long period of time, I'd probably go for a class C and a toad. I'm unclear on how long your trip is. If it's a year, I'd go with something smaller and easier to drive. Maybe something like an Aliner. If this is going to be a multi-year adventure, then I'd go with a Class A or Class C.

I have no experience with a Class B. However, I have friends with a Vanagon camping van. It's very cool. They love it. It might be something to consider.

Remember, this is all what I would like. Your opinion may vary. But lots of looking and trying them out will bring you to your best answer.

Thanks for all the help!

AzBuck - thanks for that link!

Mark, I've driven a class C and a Class A in the past, and I agree that the class A was easier to handle. If I was traveling with others I would go with this, but since I'll be alone I won't need all that space. Plus, like Judy mentioned, I like the maneuverability of something smaller.

Judy, thanks fot the tips. There is a great RV place about 50 miles from where I live that rents and sells. I think I'll go sometime in May or June and look around and rent one for a few days. I have a lot of time off this summer, so I should be able to do about 4 or 5 small trips, so I'll be able to try out several different Rv's.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    I'm unclear on how long your trip is. If it's a year, I'd go with something smaller and easier to drive. Maybe something like an Aliner. If this is going to be a multi-year adventure, then I'd go with a Class A or Class C.
    At this time I'm not sure how long it will be. At least one year, possibly 18 months. I know that I will return home at least once (around christmas), but other than that I will be on the road full time.

Default How about doing reviews for us?

I'm glad you think you'll be able to do a few short trips this summer, renting different style RVs to try them out. I think you'll really get your best answer that way.

I think it would be awesome if you would come back to this thread after each trip with a rental to give us a review of what you thought about the RV you used. How it drove and handled, storage space, comfort, ease of hooking-up and dumping, etc. Since I know you're not the only person visiting here that wonders what rig would work best for them, your insights should be quite helpful to others.

Would you consider doing that? Hopefully, it could become a sticky in this section.

Default Review

I must admit to being curious to what Melanie finds most beneficial. I have kicked around the idea of getting a smaller RV myself, once time and income allow it, since that way I can at least be relatively assured my sleeping quarters will be up to snuff.

Yes I would love to give reviews. I'll let you know as soon as I find out about my first trip!

~ Melanie

Default Glad you're willing!

I'll look forward to reading your reviews.

from my experience when i was looking..... it seemed that Class B's were not good value for money
    you get a lot more space/features with most class A/C than you do with a Class B.... obviously the B's have the advantage of being more like anything you've driven before

in the end, i went for a Class C....1988 fleetwood rallye, it was within my budget, mileage was low... had everything i wanted included.... and at 24ft, isn't that much longer than the van i drive at work