The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Cruising Some Old Roads, Hot Browns, Wig Wams and Bourbon Sippin'

Heading out tomorrow for another trip on 66 from Dwight. Ill., to St. Louis, with a two night stop in Springfield for a convention.

I'll take US-50 from St. Louis to Vincennes, IN. Looking forward to the albino squirrels in Olney. This I gotta see.

From Vincennes, it will by US-41 to Nashville for some country and western and a family visit.

Then, it's off to ol' Kantuck for some bourbon sipping (I know of six distilleries close to Louisville) and hot brown sandwiches (never had one, but probably similar to Central Illinois' horseshoes). Who knows, perhaps my first-ever mint julep (hey, the Derby is the following weekend).

Next weekend, I will be at the Wig Wam Village at Cave City and taking tours of the old Dixie and Jackson highways with some fellow road folks. I'll let you know what happens.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

Default Wigwam village

A couple of years back, I took a quick solo trip from Massachusetts to Kentucky and slept in a wigwam. If you're tall, watch your head!

I always though Bourbon County itself was dry, but this list from the Kentucky ABC proves otherwise.

It's hard to find a bad road in that state. I'm interested in hearing about the area around Louisville.

Default Things Came Up

Things came up and I wasn't able to get off this weekend, but will head out Monday. I'll wear my RTA hat and pins. Getting the word out, you know.

Default I'm Back

I had a great trip down Route 66 in Illinois, which, as I've said before, is wonderfully marked. I had a delicious buffet at Smaterjax in Dwight and saw that the new visitor center in the 1930s Ambler-Becker
    gas station is about ready to open.

I had a visit with Ernie Edwards, the "Old Coot on 66" in Broadwell. He is an experience, and, even at age 91 was out working in front of his old Pig Hip Restaurant, which unfortunately burned down this past March.

Sad to report that the site of the former Gardens Restaurant in Litchfield is now having a Walgreens built on it. Who'd a-figgered???

Day 2- I cruised east from O'Fallon, Illinois along US-50. This is one of the nation's original US highways, coming into existence the same time as Route 66. A newer alignment parallels it much of the way. I got to see the ruins of an old tavern where George Rogers Clark and his men rested before continuing on to present day Vincinnes, Indiana, where their surprise attack on the British during the Revolutionary War, helped keep what became the old Northwest territory in American hands. This was right next to a place selling steel folk art with a huge white chicken.

One stretch of a little over a mile had four old bridges along a former unused alignment. Three of them were the old steel girder type and all had fancy concrete work along the guard rails.

Went through some beautiful small towns. One key thing I wanted to do was to see the albino squirrels in Olney. I drove around a lot looking up into the trees for a glimpse of one. Fortunately, there were no accidents, but I did get a serious crick in the neck.

I was getting disappointed, until, at lunch, I found the best place to see them was at the city park. I eventually found my way over to it and walked around. After awhile, I saw a gray squirrel with a white tail and chest. That was great, but I still wanted to see a full-fledged albino squirrel. I made one last ride through the park, and there, near the base of a tree was that all-white squirrel I had been attempting to find. I spent about 15 minutes looking at it and videotaping.

Continued into Vincinnes, then took US-41 into Evansville, Indiana, where I spent night two.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

Default The Urban Malls Discussion has been moved

It seemed like the focus of this thread had shifted away from RoadDog's report about his trip on Route 66. If you want to join in the discussion about the "evilness" of urban malls and the relative righteousness of storefront traditional mercantile shopping, those threads have moved here.

mark

Default Cruisin Indiana to Tennessee

Drove Indiana Highway 66 partly along the Ohio River (part of the Scenic Byway), crossed the river a drove around Owensboro, Ky, awhile before taking US-431 south to Tennessee.

At Springfield, I got on Tennessee Hwy-76, one of the greatest drives I've ever been on. The roads dips, turns, and follows the lay of the land the whole length, unfortunately only a little over 20 miles, to White House, Tn.

Spent a couple days with relatives and got to go to True's BBQ in Cross Plains where I had my first-ever Hoe Cakes, which turned out to be glorified pancakes, and too dry for my taste. I had a large plate of cue for $4.75 and it came with two sides, definitely try the sweet corn nuggets. For dessert I had a chess pie (also my first-ever). This was one delicious and overly filling egg custard delicacy.