Thread: Cost estimate?

1. Default Cost estimate?

My boyfriend and I are taking a road trip to see if we can find some place else to live.
    We plan to be gone 2 - 2.5 weeks.
    We will be going from Montana > Denver > Santa Fe (crash at boyfriends sisters house) > Albuquerque > Phoenix (crash at grandparents house)> Grand Canyon > Las Vegas (this is where the cost will be the most!)> Los Angeles > and that's as far as the planning has gone. We will be making our way up the California coast, and then back over to Montana.

If we can find a topper for my boyfriends 1992 Ford Ranger, we will be taking the truck so we can sleep in the back. This will completly eliminate our hotel needs. With the truck, we plan on staying in campgrounds at times, and also truck stops. We will be taking a propane grill so that we can cook most of our own meals.

However, if we cannot find a topper, we will be taking my 2005 Pontiac Grand AM. I know my car gets much better gas mileage, but I like the comfort that the truck bed will give. Just incase we can't find a campground, with the truck we can also just pull over and sleep. It won't be that easy in my car, and I don't want to be spending money on hotels all the time.
    With the car we do have a tent that will definitely be home when we can find a place to pitch it!

I plan on getting a National Parks pass (my mom is buying this for us... thanks mommy!) so we can go see all the National Parks we wish.

In Denver we want to go to Six Flags. Tickets will be purchased online in advance, inorder to save $10 per person.

Vegas is where we will probably be splurging. Going to see a show or two (estimate $100 per person per show).

Based on this info, can anyone give me an estimate to how much this will cost? I know my info is kinda out there, with not knowing what vehicle we will be taking, but any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

***Forgot to ad that we would like to avoid major interstates and stick to more backroads to see more scenery. I'd also like to stop and see some quirky things (like a giant ball of yarn or something silly like that).
    Last edited by yibemen; 04-19-2007 at 08:33 PM. Reason: to add more content

Default go and seek your fortune!

Quote Originally Posted by yibemen View Post
    My boyfriend and I are taking a road trip to see if we can find some place else to live.
    Just like hitting the road in a covered wagon -- road trips have long served as the mechanism for finding new homes. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    Based on this info, can anyone give me an estimate to how much this will cost? I know my info is kinda out there, with not knowing what vehicle we will be taking, but any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    You can use our Fuel Cost Calculator to figure out the fuel costs and this thread can provide some more of the overview gaps.

Mark

Default Sleeping comfort

Quote Originally Posted by yibemen View Post
    If we can find a topper for my boyfriends 1992 Ford Ranger, we will be taking the truck so we can sleep in the back. This will completly eliminate our hotel needs. With the truck, we plan on staying in campgrounds at times, and also truck stops. We will be taking a propane grill so that we can cook most of our own meals.
    I would think the bed of a '92 Ranger is rather narrow,especially with the wheel wells.

I would suggest an air mattress - you can get a good battery operated unit that runs on three C or D cells. We recently purchased one and it works quite well. It will come in handy for when you're in the campground as well.

4. Default

Yes, it is quite narrow, however we were going to get a piece of plywood and set it over the wheel wells to give us more room. Then we could also put our stuff underneath the bed.

Thanks for the replies!