1. Default Moving away... planning a trip to get there... help

I'm not going to be moving for about a year or so, however, I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this, I live in new england, and will be moving to either texas or colorado (or maybe wherever i feel like staying on my trip haha, the place doesnt really matter at the moment, it's more of a "get away for a little while" move) ANYWAY, I have furniture that i would need to get down but i want to take a road trip in the moving process... i'll be by myself (most likely) and I will hopefully have a truck at that point... My question is... what do you guys think my best option would be to get down there and get at least some of my stuff down with me... should i just get a towable rv and fulltime in it until i feel like moving again... or should i invest in a horse trailer with living quarters, put my stuff in the horse part, and take a long road trip with the camper part... (i am currently going to school for equine business so i have extensive experience with horses and such things, i just dont have a horse, but once i got down there i could charge to ship horses and make a little business for myself)

Ok so now that i've told you my life story... which do you think is a better idea? putting my stuff in storage and having a nice road trip, get a job with horses, and fulltime in an rv once i get there, or should i get a horse trailer and bring my stuff, enjoy the trip down, get an apartment and make a small business while working a job with horses also?

Default Minimalism

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I think you're making this much more complicated than it needs to be at this point. First of all, your situation could change drastically by next year so that plans made now may be useless. Secondly, I think you're trying to make a one-size-fits-all solution to an unknown set of problems. What I'd do is look into possibilities, in a general kind of way, but when the time comes get only that equipment for that amount of time that I need. I would plan on something like what I did the two times I moved cross country. Just load your stuff up in a U-Haul, get to where you're going to live, find a short term apartment and move in. All the rest can be taken care of once you've got your feet on the ground in your new hometown.

AZBuck

Default Asked and answered?

Quote Originally Posted by collegekidRVer View Post
    My question is... what do you guys think my best option would be to get down there and get at least some of my stuff down with me.
    .. I am not sure, but I think you may have already answered your question with a better answer than one of us could come up with. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- but I do have a couple of comments. I don't think you intended this -- but you certainly don't want to purchase any sort of a RV and use it as a transport device for your stuff (with the possible exception of the horse trailer) you will easily exceed the GVW of the RV and, in general, RV's make lousy storage units.
    should i just get a towable rv and fulltime in it until i feel like moving again...
    Living in a RV is only economical if you are parked in it. If you are moving around a fair amount, you will find that your on-the-road living expenses exceed your fixed location living expenses.

If you have the money for both a storage space and funds for taking a road trip -- that would be ideal. It can be logistically challenging to combine roadtripping with moving -- although hundreds, (maybe even thousands) of folks do it every year.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-20-2007 at 06:55 AM.

Default Dealing with "Stuff"

I'm going to throw out one more idea to consider: Simply get rid of your stuff. Sell your furniture and other bulky items, so you don't have to deal with them. You might find that it ends up being a lot cheaper to start over than trying to store things for a year and then move them across country.

Plus, at the end of the day, you'd have new stuff!

Default Investigation

Quote Originally Posted by collegekidRVer View Post
    I'm not going to be moving for about a year or so, however, I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this, I live in new england, and will be moving to either texas or colorado (or maybe wherever i feel like staying on my trip haha, the place doesnt really matter at the moment, it's more of a "get away for a little while" move)
    Did you have your heart set on one or both of these places? Have you ever been to either place before?

I would second Michael's advice to sell your bulky items. Then park that RV in the place you find yourself for awhile so you can really get to know the area. Just a few days or even weeks in a place doesn't give the type of information that really living there would provide.