Default Washington DC to Boston

This is my 1st post on here...it sure looks like a great place.

I'm British and will be coming to the US in December for a mini NFL tour, and included in that am intending to drive from Washington DC to Boston (over about 2 days).

Anyone got any advice on routes and places to see - I am hoping to avoid the big cities - any nice towns en route, don't mind taking a detour to avoid the big cities. I also would like to go to a Cracker Barrel as much as possible - I go as much as possible anytime I come to America, we don't have place that good in plain old England.

Advice on where to spend the night too would be good, probably somewhere about 200 miles from Boston would be good.

Had a great evening reading all the other posts on here, realised how little of the US I really know. About time, that I rectify that I think!

Richard

Default I like the attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by thirdman View Post
    This is my 1st post on here...it sure looks like a great place.
    Thanks! We try. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.
    I'm British
    Could we borrow your exchange rate for a few days?
    ...and will be coming to the US in December for a mini NFL tour, and included in that am intending to drive from Washington DC to Boston (over about 2 days).
    Very smart -- as you know, it is about 450 miles, by the direct route, and so breaking that into two days is very civilized.
    Anyone got any advice on routes and places to see - I am hoping to avoid the big cities - any nice towns en route, don't mind taking a detour to avoid the big cities.
    Well, considering that the direct route bisects some of the most urban & dense metropolitan areas on the continent, it will require some serious detouring to miss the cities. But I know AZBuck will come by soon and offer some great ideas.
    I also would like to go to a Cracker Barrel as much as possible
    Here are four of them in Massachusetts, I like their puzzles, but rarely stop in them anymore -- too much food for me.
    Advice on where to spend the night too would be good, probably somewhere about 200 miles from Boston would be good.
    AZBuck and Mass Tim's posts are often excellent on this topic --
    Had a great evening reading all the other posts on here, realised how little of the US I really know. About time, that I rectify that I think!
    I learn new stuff, here, every day.

Mark
    Last edited by Mass Tim; 04-19-2007 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Fixed broken link

Default The Route Will determine What You See

A discussion of various routes around New York City begins here. It sounds like you might be particularly interested in the route described on the second page of that thread that describes a route that stays pretty much in the countryside all the way up. Once you get to New England, depending on how you get there, you should be looking at either the Merritt Parkway if you're coming from the New York City area, or the Mohawk Trail if you're coming from the Delaware Water Gap/Catskills. Once you pick a route we'll be happy to direct you to specific venues along the way that will suit your particular tastes.

By the way, I love eating at English Pubs for lunch/dinner. I have yet to have a Ploughman's Lunch that didn't beat anything Cracker Barrel had to offer hands down, and the settings are occasionally truly amazing. But I suppose it's a matter of familiarity breeding contempt in both our cases. In any event, you can find all the Cracker Barrel locations in the US here.

AZBuck

Default Avoiding cities and traffic

One secret to avoiding cities is to "look between the lines", taking a road around the city that may appear to be longer in distance (and usually are), but are shorter in time and more relaxing. Avoiding traffic, of course, comes down to time of day. You can loop around NYC easily enough on I-287 or any of the state/county roads in New Jersey.

200 Miles from Boston encompasses the whole of Connecticut, Rhode Island, and pretty much all of Vermont, New Hampshire, and a good portion of Maine as well. What are your preferred lodgings? Anywhere along the highway you'll be able to find the usual chain motels/hotels. Are you interested in more of the bed and breakfast type?

One nice town en route is Farmington Connecticut, "The Mother Town". Lots of beautiful homes and historic places. The Northeast corner of CT is quite nice as well - "the quiet corner". Check out the frog bridge in Willimantic.

I must admit to enjoying Cracker Barrel when on the road, for breakfast at least. Not something I could eat every day, but when in a place where the choices are limited, it works for me.

Default Thank you

Thank You everyone for your advice.

I'm probably only intending to do this with one stop-over, and so will only be looking for a place to stay for one night, and a motel would be fine. That would also rule out Maine for example, as the ideal situation would be to find somewhere nice approximately halfway between Washington and Boston.

I'm happy to avoid the major cities, and extend the normal 450 miles to about 600 by using smaller roads. The ideal scenario would therefore be to find somewhere about 300 miles from Washington and a similar distance from Boston.

I guess I better hope that there isn't too much snow, as that may ruin my thoughts of taking the smaller roads! I will definitely look at those links too as they look very interesting.

Richard