1. Default need help planning trip: utah + more

Hi folks!

Wow, what a great forum. Tons of information.

I need help planning my 1st RV trip. Planning on a pickup from Vegas and going for 7 days in the first week of June. Focussing on Utah - places like Zion, Bryce, Arches etc.

Since it's my first RV trip - I don't know much about RV parks. I would like to spend each night at an RV park - perhaps one day in b/w at some motel. How do things like electricity hookups and water hookups work at RV parks?

Also, I'm told I should avoid driving more than 4-5 hours a day so I can spend some time to relax! I need help finding places to go. Do I have enough time to go in to Wyoming or Colorado? Or should I spend the entire time in utah? What places can I visit? Research is overwhelming.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Default Lots of resources for your adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by Raas View Post
    I need help planning my 1st RV trip.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum. We have several articles that you might find helpful as you begin this process:

Overview of RV rentals
    A checklist to print and take with you when you pick up the rental
    An overview about the types of RV campgrounds
    An overview about boondocking in a RV
    A discussion about visiting national monuments and national parks
    How do things like electricity hookups and water hookups work at RV parks?
    There are three primary styles for RV parks and hook-ups.
    No Hook-ups: The usual set-up in national parks and USFS campgrounds, water and dump facilities are found on-site, but not at the campground space.

Water & Electric: Water connection and ~30 amp power connections are located on the driver's side of the vehicle allowing for easy hook-up

Full Service: Water, sewer and 30-50 Amp power box all located at the driver's side (as you back in to a space) for easy hookup.
    Do I have enough time to go in to Wyoming or Colorado? Or should I spend the entire time in utah? What places can I visit? Research is overwhelming.
    For your seven days, I would concentrate on Utah! Here is a little about Bryce and Zion that you might find interesting.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-19-2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: added links to RTA field reports

Default Utah!

Quote Originally Posted by Raas View Post
    Do I have enough time to go in to Wyoming or Colorado? Or should I spend the entire time in utah? What places can I visit? Research is overwhelming.
    Utah is absolutely gorgeous. It was always one of those "unknown" places to me before I finally took the time to get out there. I told people where I was going, and they would come up with the usual incredulous comments "Utah?!"

Once finally in the state, I was completely blown away.
    This is not to detract from either WY or CO - both just "wow!", especially to this East-coast dweller.

It's not always absolutely necessary to avoid driving for long times (ie longer than four hours). Sometimes the drive itself can be relaxing, especially out West. But at the same time, it is nice to be able to get out and explore an area.

4. Default

wow - I'm really looking forward to this now!

Can you recommend the places I should go - given that I have 7 days? I'd prefer to stay at RV parks with full hookups and everything.

Thanks

Default The big ones

Bryce, Zion, and Arches seem to be the most often recommended places to go. I have not been to Arches, but will attest to Bryce and Zion being well worth the time to explore. I was fortunate enough to get to hike in both of them.

There are many RV campgrounds in the area. Since you will be heading out in peak tourist season, you will probably want to get reservations for your site. Perhaps some of our seasoned RV travelers will chime in on recommended sites.

Default Ruby's

When you go to Bryce, stay at Ruby's. I love this place.

I stayed at a KOA in Moab when I went to Arches. KOA's tend to be OK. They're typically not a high-end type of park, but they're clean and have decent amenities. While there may be some better campgrounds in some of the places you want to go, I'm not aware of them and I don't think you could go wrong with a KOA.