1. Default Car Rental Advice

Hello everyone,

Getting very close now to our spring trip of San Francisco to New York.

We will be renting a car for 21 days and have been looking at various options available online, the killer seems to be the drop off charge which I guess there is no way of avoiding as it is a large part of the rental, although I have found a company that charges only 500 USD one way drop off.

There will be two of us, my wife and myself, we will both be driving and we hold Spanish driving licences, we also got International driving licences from the traffic department in Spain.

At the moment one of the best prices I seem to be able to get is Alamo, picking up at Union Square in San Francisco and dropping off at East 31st Manhatten, I know nothing much about these pick up and drop off locations although on maps they seem central of both areas so I just selected them on a pot luck basis. If anyone has any other suggestions or advice on the pick up and drop off locations or if there is some disadvantage on those I have selected then please chime in.

Forgive my ignorance but it's out first trip to the US and I am not up on car rentals there. From an online price at Alamo they include a 'Collision Damage Waiver Full', 'Unlimited miles', 'Extended Protection (third party liability protection)' all for what seems to be a reasonable price compaired to that of others that I calculated with companies such as Hertz and Dollar etc. I take it this is sufficient cover to protect ourselves? or is there something insurance wise I might have missed? I don't want to be held liable for any damage, loss of car or claims... which from what I can see the above seems to cover me for.

1# Does anyone have experiance with Alamo on West to East trips?
    2# Are they a reliable company? (I guess they are if they are the size they seem)
    3# Any other advice that might be given when renting a car in the US?

Many thanks
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-19-2007 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Link to earlier thread

Default Car Insurance 101

Quote Originally Posted by sunpo View Post
    I take it this is sufficient cover to protect ourselves? or is there something insurance wise I might have missed? I don't want to be held liable for any damage, loss of car or claims... which from what I can see the above seems to cover me or.
    Please read all of the posts in this thread about car rental insurance issues.
    1# Does anyone have experience with Alamo on West to East trips?
    Alamo and National Car Rental are owned by the same company --and are an excellent company.

3. Default Try Hertz

I am leaving Friday for an LA to NYC relocation roadtrip. I was able to rent a Premium class vehicle from Hertz for 9 days with unlimited mileage for less than $500. That's with the AAA discount. Pricing will undoubtedly vary from mine since your departure city and duration are different but check them out. I also seem to remember reading somewhere that Hertz did away with their one-way surcharges.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by coloneltigh View Post
    also seem to remember reading somewhere that Hertz did away with their one-way surcharges.
    Thanks for the info, I looked at Hertz and see in the quote detail there is a one way drop off charge of USD 500, this is the same as Dollar who I think I am going to go with. In the quote from Dollar for a midrange car 'Pontiac G6' I added roadside cover for lost keys and running out of gas as well as a GPS, all this for USD 50 more as a Focus with Hertz.
    Both the quotes have unlimited mileage and Damage Waivers.

Thanks again