Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bellingham, WA to Los Angeles

Our family is considering a trip to Los Angeles this summer... I've tried to map it out so that we're not in the car for more than 6 hours or so a day... Right now, I'm thinking Bellingham to Eugene, OR. Eugene to Klamath, CA (Redwood Nat'l Park) Klamath to Point Reyes, CA (see the National Seashore) and then from there to LA. We'd prefer to stay in unique places (B&B's or cabin-type places) rather than chain hotels, if possible. Does anyone have suggestions on some good stops for our trip? Or, perhaps, suggestions for a different route? We'd like to get to LA in two or three days from our departure day (max. of 4)...
    Also, we like to eat in unique restaurants (no chains if we can help it.) If you have suggestions for DELICIOUS, NOT CRAZILY EXPENSIVE food that the children (17, 10 & 10) will like, too, I'd appreciate that! Thanks so much!

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

While I am personally not familiar with the area, a quick search of the forum will bring up multiple threads about that area - try Seattle to Los Angeles search and you will find much relevant information.

Default Pretty good route

Bellingham to Eugene is about 370 miles. Traffic zips along most of I-5 and, in fact, the speed limit is 70 for a good part of this route. So, you may be able to do it in about 6 hours or a bit more. However, a lot of this depends on traffic through Seattle-to-Olympia and in Portland. I'd recommend leaving sometime around 7-8:00am so you aren't going through any of those areas at peak traffic times.

Eugene to Klamath is about 250 miles if you continue down I-5 to Grant's Pass, take 199 to Crescent City, and then 101 down the coast. 199 is a pretty road and 101 is gorgeous and this shouldn't take much more than 6 hours to drive. You'll need more time on the road for all the sight-seeing stops along the way though.

Klamath to Point Reyes is 334 miles via 101, and 348 miles if you take the CA-1 detour. It only adds a few miles but it will add more time than you think because of the curves and narrowness of the road. However, I think it's worth it. Go for it. Beautiful views. It's been awhile since I've driven this so I'm guessing, but I know that there will be times you'll be going quite slow due to traffic. Especially if you get behind an RV or similar big rig that can't negotiate the curves quickly. I'd plan for 8 hours for this trip and just be glad if you make it quicker. It's worth it. Just do it.

Point Reyes to LA is 430 miles if you take 580 from San Quentin through Richmond and Oakland to I-5, bypassing San Francisco. The Bay and LA areas are traffic nightmares. Sometimes traffic will be going 90mph, and sometimes it will crawl. I think I'd figure a good 9 hours for this leg. Hopefully somebody in here who knows California better can give you more feedback on that.

Have a great trip!

Default Where did you find that number?

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Klamath to Point Reyes is 334 miles via 101, and 348 miles if you take the CA-1 detour.
    Judy, somebody is pulling your leg.... miles down the coast is usually calculated at 396 miles for this stretch, (but I know that the actual mileage is probably closer to 435 -- there are sections where the road twists around so much that it almost doubles upon itself) and I have driven it several times and on some of those twistiest sections sections even if there is no RV traffic and you are driving a sports car, one can not drive faster than 35 mph due to tight curves. Klamath to Point Reyes would require about ten hours of driving. One can easily shorten this time, but jumping back on US-101, except that once one reaches Santa Rosa, speeds drop to 40-45 mph again due to heavy urban traffic.
    It's worth it. Just do it.
    I would agree with this -- but you will need to be patient -- there is no speeding up along CA-1....

One of the must see sections of your drive is Avenue of the Giants and for a great lunch stop...
    Also, we like to eat in unique restaurants (no chains if we can help it.)
    you can stop at the Knights Restaurant in Myers Flat

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-18-2007 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added a link

Default I know it's not as scenic, but...

would I save time by getting back on I-5 and then cut back over when I get closer to Pt. Reyes?

Default Us-101

Quote Originally Posted by chc View Post
    would I save time by getting back on I-5 and then cut back over when I get closer to Pt. Reyes?
    Since you want to stay on that schedule, I would suggest using US-101, there is very little time advantage of driving to the coast to see Redwood NP and then cutting all the way back to I-5, it is still a full days journey from Redwood National Park to Point Reyes on US-101, but it is faster than trying to reach I-5.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Judy, somebody is pulling your leg.... miles down the coast is usually calculated at 396 miles for this stretch, (but I know that the actual mileage is probably closer to 435 -- there are sections where the road twists around so much that it almost doubles upon itself) and I have driven it several times and on some of those twistiest sections sections even if there is no RV traffic and you are driving a sports car, one can not drive faster than 35 mph due to tight curves.
    Mark
    Really? That's what MS S&T gave me. I usually find it to be quite accurate. Thanks for the correction. I was guessing about 40mph average due to the curves but it has been years since I've done it so I won't argue with your 35mph. It must be even twistier than I remember!

Default It depends on the incremental way points

Really? That's what MS S&T gave me.
    You did a point to point command to MS S&T? What that program does is look at the database and makes a "best estimate" of the likely total mileage between two points. 95% of the time that is darn accurate -- but for a road that is as twisty as say the section from Leggett to Westport, the only way to get an accurate read is to identify that segment and then add them sequentially. And I should say, I am guessing a little about this total mileage. I did my own sequential arithmetic excercise using google.earth and then rounded it up a little, because I have tested google.earth extensively and know what the accuracy variance can run....
    I was guessing about 40mph average due to the curves but it has been years since I've done it so I won't argue with your 35mph. It must be even twistier than I remember!
    If a driver wanted to stay on his side of the yellow lane the entire distance (not cut corners on the switchbacks) they would need to keep it down around that 35 mph -- I have driven it faster, but I was using both lanes and a couple of shoulders in a couple of places....

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-19-2007 at 09:31 AM. Reason: added fudge factor....

Default I had to push it

I mean, I first did Klamath to Point Reyes and it gave me the 101 route. Then I added waypoints along CA-1 to push the route that way. Maybe I missed some bits of CA-1?

I think I drove CA-1 like you did....and that's why I don't remember going 35 or less. Except at times when I was stuck behind a slo-mo. :-)

Default Maybe I missed some bits of CA-1?

Then I added waypoints along CA-1 to push the route that way.
    My experience with such algorithm-driven programs is that you have to select mileage increments in 1/4 to 2/3 of mile increments. For mapping apps that need to be accurate -- I usually use a custom application of Google.Earth that was created for bicycling routes -- an extra 1/4 of mile makes a huge difference pedalling a bike uphill.... It is extremely labor intensive to do the mapping this way -- so I use my own "fudge factor".
    I think I drove CA-1 like you did....and that's why I don't remember going 35 or less.
    I can think of three curves, where even my racing suspension could not hold the road any faster than 10 mph.... So, I bet you have just forgotten some of those places....

Mark