Thread: NYC to San Fran

Default NYC to San Fran

Hi all,

My cousin and I are planning on a New York City to San Fran road trip (end of May/June time) - 1 way, 8 or 9 days. He's in NJ, and I'm in Ireland so he's done most of the prep. Below is a very rough itinarary he has put together. I'm just wondering if there is anything else that might be interesting to see/visit - and how much time do you get to see these things - I'm a photographer so would like to get some stuff (but I'm realistic about the amount of driving!!). And other help would be great.

St. Louis, Missouri
    Garden of the Gods - Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Durango, Colorado then to Arches National Park - Moab, Utah
    Drive through Canyonlands National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah to Cedar City, Utah
    Drive through Zion National Park, Utah
    Drive through to Grand Canyon, Arizona to Flagstaff, Arizona
    Drive to Las Vegas
    Drive through Sequoia Nat'l Park, Kings Canyon Nat'l Park and Yosemite Nat'l Park
    Drive to San Francisco

Thanks a million....great site btw!!

Default Jam Packed

Céad Míle Fáilte!

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

While it is conceivable to do the trip you have laid out, it would be on the order of 4000 miles and require that you spend most of the hours of every day in the car. While you could see a lot that way, experiencing it would be something else entirely, and I'm afraid you'd be shortchanging yourselves. I think it would be much better to drive to fewer places/parks, and spend some time hiking through the ones you did get to rather than just driving through a bunch in your hermetically sealed car. You're going to have to devote 5 full days to driving just to get from New York to San Francisco anyway, so the question is - where would you like to spend your three days of 'free time'? If I had to pick a subset of your listed stops, I think I'd go with Arches, the Grand Canyon and Yosemite. I could easily spend a day in each, and still not experience everything that they had to offer. Not that the other places you have in mind aren't worth a visit, but you will have to limit yourselves in what you schedule. Time will inevitably limit what you can get to anyway.

AZBuck

Default Sounds like a grand adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by irishcaptain View Post
    My cousin and I are planning on a New York City to San Fran road trip (end of May/June time) - 1 way, 8 or 9 days.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.
    He's in NJ, and I'm in Ireland so he's done most of the prep.
    I bet you have better Web access than he does!
    I'm a photographer so would like to get some stuff (but I'm realistic about the amount of driving!!).
    You are in for a wonderful trip -- but some of the driving distances seem a tad challenging....
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Was this to be a NYC to St. Louis leg? If so, this will be two long days in the saddle, by the shortest possible route this is 950 miles. Be sure to go up into the Arch and watch the film about how they joined the arch together during the construction phase. Generally, we don't recommend more than 500 miles of driving per day and since you are a photographer, you will want to take advantage of morning and raking light whenever possible, so your total miles per day will be less.
    Garden of the Gods - Colorado Springs, Colorado
    I assume you are planning to drive from St. Louis to Colorado Springs? This would be, again by the shortest possible distance, 835 miles, which is 1.5 days. The Garden of the Gods near Colorado Springs is pretty amazing and if you have the good fortune to reach here in early to mid-morning -- even better.
    Durango, Colorado then to Arches National Park - Moab, Utah
    How are you getting from Colorado Springs to Durango? It is only about 315 miles but it will take 6.5 hours to reach it. And then Durango to Moab is only 160 miles if you use US-491, but you will be blowing past Mesa Verde NP and Canyons of the Ancients National Monument and more importantly, you would miss traveling on the Million Dollar highway with awesome views of the mining town up and down that valley.
    Drive through Canyonlands National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah to Cedar City, Utah
    This would be another long day -- the best light will occur when you are driving.
    Drive through Sequoia Nat'l Park, Kings Canyon Nat'l Park and Yosemite Nat'l Park
    This can not be done in one day. Here is some more info.

I think you will have a wonderful trip -- but I am not sure you can really do everything you have listed in those 8-9 days.

Mark

Thanks guys thats what I was looking for...to see what would be possible in the time frame. I've got a better idea now...back to the planning!! Cheers