1. Default New York to Florida

Hey all,

I'm in the process of planning a late summer road trip from Rochester, NY to Daytona Beach, FL. I'm trying to figure out exactly how long I should plan for the trip taking (so I can schedule my vacation at work).

I'm planning on being in Daytona Beach, FL on Friday, August 17 by 5:00PM (the nation's largest reptile expo is that weekend, and events begin that night). I'd be staying there Friday night and probably leaving on that Sunday morning.

I'd like to visit the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta (and schedule more or less a whole day there). It doesn't really matter if it's before or after the weekend (or that Sunday).

I'd also like to travel either up, or down the coast, possibly hit Savannah, GA, Charleston, SC, maybe someplace in NC (not sure all of what is there), Virginia Beach, VA, Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD. Not all are necessary, just places I'd like to visit.

At most I'd have a total of 2 business weeks to take off, although the friend that'd be coming with me would be unlikely to get quite that much off. So any ideas?

Thanks!

Default Welcome back

Quote Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
    I'm in the process of planning a late summer road trip from Rochester, NY to Daytona Beach, FL.
    The route would be somewhere between 2775 and 3100 miles depending upon how much of the eastern seaboard you include in the trip. So at a minimum, you need to figure seven full days of driving (8 hours per day). If you factor in the days in Daytona and 4-5 hours of exploring in some of the other cities, you probably should allow 4-5 additional days. So this works out pretty close to a two week holiday.
    I'm planning on being in Daytona Beach, FL on Friday, August 17 by 5:00PM (the nation's largest reptile expo is that weekend,
    That sounds really cool, I wish I was going to that!
    I'd like to visit the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta
    While there, you might wish to check out the Atlanta Botantical Garden too -- I don't know if you are, like me, fascinated with carnivorous plants -- but they have an incredible collection!

Mark

3. Default

Alright, so I think we have a schedule pretty well ironed out, this is the plan:

Tuesday night - Rochester -> Knoxville/Johnson City
    ------Leave Rochester @ 4:30PM Tuesday
    ------Arrive Johnson City @ 3:30AM Wednesday
    Wednesday - Knoxville/Johnson City -> Atlanta
    ------Leave Johnson City @ 1:00PM Wednesday
    ------Arrive Atlanta @ 6:30PM Wednesday
    Thursday - Atlanta -> Daytona Beach
    ------Leave Atlanta @ 2:00PM Thursday
    ------Arrive Daytona Beach @ 9:00PM Thursday
    Friday - Daytona Beach (maybe Orlando)
    Saturday - Daytona Beach -> Raleigh
    ------Leave Daytona Beach @ 6:00PM Saturday
    ------Arrive Raleigh @ 3:00AM Saturday
    Sunday - Raleigh -> Washington, DC
    ------Leave Raleigh @ 1:00PM Sunday
    ------Arrive Washington, DC @ 6:00PM Sunday
    Monday - Washington, DC -> Rochester
    ------Leave Washington, DC @ 1:00PM Monday
    ------Arrive Rochester @ 9:00PM Monday

We're actually planning on being back on Tuesday night, so there's a day worth of flex time to spend on the second half of the trip (from Florida back to Rochester). We're not going to cover as much of the coast as we'd like, but it should give us some time to enjoy a few of the sites without being too rushed. Unfortunately, we're not going to be able to get as much time off as we'd like, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Here's the general path: Google Map

Default I think you will be surprised

Alright, so I think we have a schedule pretty well ironed out,
    The Google Map planner uses a complex series of algorithms -- but complex or not, those times are not based in the real world that you and I live in. You can not drive from Rochester, NY to Johnson City in less than 13 hours (I just hope you get plenty of rest before you begin -- driving all night is not always the best way to begin a trip of this magnitude) and so the trip may well get behind from the first day. Other legs have the same challenges. But the only way, you will probably believe us, is to drive it.

No matter what, you will have a blast. We look forward to hearing about what you find "out there" upon your return!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-18-2007 at 03:05 PM.

Default Reality settles in

We're not going to cover as much of the coast as we'd like, but it should give us some time to enjoy a few of the sites without being too rushed.
    I think you'll find that you'll still be able to visit some truly interesting places along the way, places that you probably wouldn't expect to find. Just be sure to let us know about them!

6. Default

Well, it seems plans are changing again, as always... but not necessarily for the worse.

My friend is having her tonsils out, and going to use up a large portion of her vacation time, so it looks like she won't be able to go. So I'm thinking of turning this into a solo trip, and extending it by a few days :-)

The new idea is to leave on Friday Aug. 10th, after I get out of work at 4pm, and return on Sunday Aug. 26th. That'll give me about 16.5 days for the trip, and will allow a bit more leisurely pace. I'm planning on about 8 hours of driving per day, with 2 longer (~11 hour) legs, and 4 shorter (between 4-6 hour) legs. I'm calculating using an average speed of 40mph, which I think is pretty conservative (I was able to drive to college ~194 miles, in 3.5 hours which works out to an average of 55mph of which a large portion was slow 2 lane highways).

Google Map of the Route

The new path is as follows:
    Rochester, NY__--> Columbus, OH__- 394 miles in 10 hours
    Columbus, OH__--> Knoxville, TN___- 357 miles in 9 hours
    Knoxville, TN___--> Atlanta, GA____- 214 miles in 5.5 hours
    Atlanta, GA____--> Tampa, FL_____- 455 miles in 11.5 hours
    Tampa, FL_____--> Miami, FL______- 283 miles in 7 hours
    Miami, FL______--> Jacksonville, FL_- 352 miles in 9 hours
    Jacksonville, FL_--> Charleston, SC_- 238 miles in 6 hours
    Charleston, SC_--> Richmond, VA__- 423 miles in 10.5 hours
    Richmond, VA__--> Baltimore, MD__- 157 miles in 4 hours
    Baltimore, MD__--> Rochester, NY__- 358 miles in 9 hours

Default Looking reasonable (and fun) to me

I think the new plan is reasonable and will offer you some flexibility as the trip unfolds.

mark

Tampa, FL_____--> Miami, FL______- 283 miles in 7 hours
    Not a big deal, but I have driven the Tampa to Miami leg many times and you won't want to go 40 on the route you have on Google Maps (very boring and everyone will be going 70 past you) and it will probably only take about 4 hours, depending on which part of each city you are going to.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    Not a big deal, but I have driven the Tampa to Miami leg many times and you won't want to go 40 on the route you have on Google Maps (very boring and everyone will be going 70 past you) and it will probably only take about 4 hours, depending on which part of each city you are going to.

I do actually plan on going around 70-75ish depending on speed limits, I was just being generous to include time for fueling, food, etc (sortof like a worst case driving time)