1. Default First Timer going to CA from NJ needs advice.

Hi there, I just stumbleded upon this website and I'm finding a lot of great and usefull information here.

Basicly my friend will be attending USF come the fall and I promised her I would visit her to make the strain of not seeing her family less painfull.

Then I realised.. I've never drove that far before. Just a few trips out to PA and thats it. I thought about flying out but then I realised if I dont drive now how often will I get the chance to see my home country like this? That when I decided to drive instead of fly.

Now besides following directions Im pretty clueless when it comes to taking a road trip. What do I need to know when camping out(like where is it safe? Not only from the creepy crawlies but from human threats, as well as where is it allowed?)

Other then that really my only big question is when driving in the desert how real is the danger of over heating and what can I do to make sure it doesnt happen? My friend has some real concerns about this which I have been dismissing (she is a bit of a worrier)

I'm making the trip with in the next year and was just trying to prepare as much as possible before hand so I wont be rushing when its really time to strap on my helmet and go.

Thank you for all your Roadly wisdom I hope to continue to learn as much as possible before I get going and once Im back I plan on makeing a full report.

It will be the start of hopefully many trips.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-16-2007 at 08:38 AM.

Default first steps

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

What do I need to know when camping out(like where is it safe? Not only from the creepy crawlies but from human threats, as well as where is it allowed?)
    As long as you are camping in a designated campground, you shouldn't have any trouble with safety.

As far as what you need, really a tent and a sleeping bag rated for the weather you'll be experiencing is all that you need. A sleeping pad to get you off the ground, and a flashlight or lantern are two more touches that make things a whole lot nicer. Read this thread to find out what is on other's car camping gear list.

Other then that really my only big question is when driving in the desert how real is the danger of over heating and what can I do to make sure it doesnt happen? My friend has some real concerns about this which I have been dismissing (she is a bit of a worrier)
    Its not a problem that you should dismiss, but its a problem that's fairly easily avoided. If you make sure all of the elements of your car -including the cooling system- are in good working order before you leave, you shouldn't have a problem. The key is to have a professional examine your car before you have a problem.

It will be the start of hopefully many trips.
    We hope it will be too!

Default Summer Travel Tips

Quote Originally Posted by Shinbin255 View Post
    Other then that really my only big question is when driving in the desert how real is the danger of over heating and what can I do to make sure it doesnt happen?
    Here are some good tips and suggestions you ought to read.

4. Default

Thanks, I knew there would be a lot of reading to do before this was over Im happy I started do early.