1. Default newb looking to tour national parks GC, Yos, tetons, etc.

Hi,
    Nebie here. Wasn't sure where to start, been lurking but...haven't found what I think I'm looking for. DH and I would like to take our 4 DS on a road trip. Not sure of budget yet but won't be HUGE. Originally thought of renting an RV and going west. Now thinking maybe driving and hotels could be an option.

We want to visit Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, tetons and any other Must See places in the area. Would like to take this trip in a 2 week period. Flexible on time of year but early summer probably the best. Kids are 13, 8, 7 and 3. Want to learn some US histroy, see some great "once in a lifetime" sites and relax. Please give me some ideas of where to start. TIA

Will be leaving from the Western part of Maryland.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-15-2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: navigation

Default A few ideas to get you started

Quote Originally Posted by mdmbfly View Post
    Wasn't sure where to start,
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- no time like now for starting. A good place to start is the RoadTrip Planning Page.
    DH and I would like to take our 4 DS on a road trip.
    I am not really sure what a DH and DS might be (Darling husband? dear siblings?)
    Not sure of budget yet but won't be HUGE.
    Here are some budgeting tips.
    Originally thought of renting an RV and going west. Now thinking maybe driving and hotels could be an option.
    Here is an article that offers pros and cons to RVing vs. motels.
    We want to visit Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, tetons and any other Must See places in the area. Would like to take this trip in a 2 week period.
    You really would be pushing hard to cover all of these places and get back to Maryland in two weeks. It can be done, but maybe you would be better to concentrate your "final destination" in either central Arizona (Grand Canyon and 4 Corners area of NM) or northern Wyoming (Tetons and Yellowstone) and not try to do both. This site has a great trip planner for national park holidays.

Mark

Default Sometimes less is more

This should be a great trip with your dear husband and your 4 dear sons. (LOL, Mark!) With the time and distance you have, I agree that you should focus on one area or the other. Trying to do both is way too much. Particularly with kids because you need to plan more stops for them to get out and burn off energy.

So, once you decide which way to go, let us know and we can give you ideas for routes and stops along the route. The website Mark suggested has lots of great info, too.

An option you might consider is also camping via tent. This might work for you for a few reasons. First, even if you have to rent a bigger vehicle for all of you and your gear, it will be less expensive than renting an RV and, since it sounds like you're on a budget, that will be a good thing. Second, you'll spend less on fuel. Third, since driving a bigger van or SUV is easier than an RV, and is also more maneuverable, you will probably be able to make better time. Since 2 weeks is a bit tight for your plans, I think this will help you burn some miles. And last, it is less fatiguing to drive a bigger vehicle than it is to drive an RV so you will probably also be able to drive a bit longer distances every day without tiring. And, really, we've done RV traveling and tent-camping and it doesn't take any longer to set up a tent and roll out your sleeping bags than it does to park, level, and hook-up your RV. All IMHO.

Of course, you can do some motel stops as well if you feel the need. Personally, if the weather is good, I prefer the fun at campgrounds, and being able to spend more time outdoors.

Sierra Nevada Mountains a few miles from Yosemite

Default Hi

Try my blog for yosemite photos and links

Ted
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-22-2007 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Preferred URL Format