Default Retirees Road Trips - Seek Experience/Advice

Hi Gang,

I just found this site and I'll introduce myself. I live 1/2 south of Annapolis, Md and will be retiring in a couple of months. I will be old then (age 62) and have worked long enough. :-) We are not rich, but hope that we have enough money to do some traveling.
    My wife retired about 1 1/2 yrs ago. We have a 2003 Grand Marque and a 2003 Santa Fe, Hyundai.

We think that we would like to take road trips across the USA. It will be all new to us, we have not traveled much. I am thinking that we head west and are gone for a month, then stay at home for 2-3-4 months. Then head north for a month, then stay home for 2-3-4 months, etc. Until we find out that we like it/don't like it/too expensive/etc.
    I am thinking that we might need a bigger vehicle to keep us more comfortable and feeling safe. My lower back tends to get sore, her neck. For example, a tahoe/yukon/expedition. I know the gas mileage won't be good, but you can't have it all.

We are not camper/rv types. I think we would be more comfortable staying in motels/apts

Anyway, I am looking for suggestions/advice/anything from those that have done this type of thing before. Anything at all to help will be appreciated.
    Type of vehicle, where to stay, where to eat, what to see, when to drive, etc.

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ron :-)

Default Still wondering about: "One Fish"

Quote Originally Posted by one fish View Post
    I will be old then (age 62) and have worked long enough.
    Hey! Watch that! 62 is not old... Primetime... Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    We think that we would like to take road trips across the USA. It will be all new to us, we have not traveled much. I am thinking that we head west and are gone for a month, then stay at home for 2-3-4 months. Then head north for a month, then stay home for 2-3-4 months, etc. Until we find out that we like it/don't like it/too expensive/etc.
    Sounds like a grand plan to me.
    I am thinking that we might need a bigger vehicle to keep us more comfortable and feeling safe. My lower back tends to get sore, her neck. For example, a tahoe/yukon/expedition. I know the gas mileage won't be good, but you can't have it all.
    I have traveled quite a bit in a Yukon -- I like the stability of being to drive fast on dirt roads and still be able to walk at the end of the day....
    We are not camper/rv types. I think we would be more comfortable staying in motels/apts
    You ought to try out some hostels along the way -- here is a good overview.
    Anyway, I am looking for suggestions/advice/anything from those that have done this type of thing before.
    Even though you know your wife's likes and dislikes and vice-versa, traveling on the road is learned skill and one that will take some practice. One of first things I would suggest is to take this quiz -- not because you don't already know the answers, but because it is a helpful way to begin the dialogue and negotiation that you are about to embark upon.

I would suggest you also read some of our essays about the roadtrip lifestyle and begin to formulate what your own roadtrip profile will be.

Mark

Default Wondering about 'one fish'

Hi Mark,

I never did answer your question. I guess you mean why I used 'one fish'. Just habit. I picked up the handle many yrs ago from a fishin partner. I always use it out on the water and on a fishin web site.

Guess I should have signed in with a more personal name, like Ron, but wasn't thinking straight.

Thanks for the info.
    Ron (smile)

4. Default Hostels

Hostels are a way to save money. You can get private rooms for 2. They are not just for the young, you will meet people from all over the world. Mostly young but usually a nice mix. The Green Tortise in San Fran is especially nice. View of golden gate easy walk to lots of attractions and wharf. Have fun no matter where you stay and don't forget to try and eat healthy. You might have to look for eats off the beaten path unless fast food is your thing.

Default Earthroamer might be the hot set-up

Quote Originally Posted by one fish View Post
    I am thinking that we might need a bigger vehicle to keep us more comfortable and feeling safe.
    Ron, As intriguing as I find the Jeep RV -- you might want to think about the XV-LT!

Mark

Default wow! way to go

One fish,
    That seems one awesome plan! I sure hope you will be able to travel as much as you want to.
    All the very best for your trip.

cool