Default summer road trip from San Fran-LA-Vegas-Grand Canyon.

hey guys!!!
    this is my first road trip and im trying to make it one to remember so that hopefully it will pave the way for more to come!! i know this is a commonly posted route BUT id love to hear from people who have done similar and things they saw and what to leave out..that type of thing!

when im in san fran im staying with friends for 4 days but i was wondering how far out is lake tahoe(not sure if thats spelt right!!) and also yosemite??? cas id love to go to these places but i wont have my car untill im moving down south so are these places easily accessed by tour buses or something or are they worth the treak out??
    also when i get to Grand Canyon i heard theres white water rafting near by which id love to do...anyone know the name of this place??and my final question hot air balloon rides...where amd how much???
    thanx guys id really appreicate anyones response!!! :)
    aimée
    xxx

Default When in summer?

Quote Originally Posted by aimee View Post
    this is my first road trip and im trying to make it one to remember
    That would be EVERY roadtrip! Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    i know this is a commonly posted route
    Yep, and here is a page with several threads that you ought to read as you plan your own trip. Also be sure to look at the bottom of this page for more ideas.
    when im in san fran im staying with friends for 4 days but i was wondering how far out is lake tahoe(not sure if thats spelt right!!) and also yosemite???
    A map can be very helpful. You can either use one of the free online mapping tools (here are some we have reviewed and some opinions about their use by our local experts) Or one of the paper maps we recommend. But for quick answers.... SF > Yosemite NP is ~ 190 miles and takes about 4.5 hours to reach it. SF to Lake Tahoe is ~ 185 miles and takes about four hours.
    also when i get to Grand Canyon i heard theres white water rafting near by which id love to do...
    There are about 50 firms that offer rafting on the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon -- here is a link to Oars, which is one of the largest and best-run of the group.

Hope this gets you started.

Mark

thanx a million will look into that!!! im so excited to go on this trip its just not coming soon enough!!! :)

ok i have my route planned:
    4 night san fran (with friends)
    1 night monterey(think thats how ya spell it) - i heard you can do hot air balloon rides here at sunrise or sunset with "adventures aloft" have you heard of these guys???
    4 nights LA - universal studios, beaches near by - any suggestions of which beach? smaller unknown ones not the ones where like 1000s of people flock too!!!!
    2 nights LAS VEGAS - whats there to see along the way from LA - LV??
    2 nights grand canyon - cant find any white water rafting companys online, do you jsut book them when you arrive?? really really want to do this!
    1 night back in LV - only to spend the night cas we fly out early next morn! :(

also i looked up these places but dont know there exact location - there is parasailing on lake shasta??? where exactly is that?? and the company that does it is parasailing Catalina??-do you know of them??

also id kinda liek to go to some hot springs and i heard of this place - Calistoga??? where is that in relation to the route im taking?il prob take highway 1 and 101-that right??
    thanx
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 04-23-2007 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Readability

Default Homework

2 nights grand canyon - cant find any white water rafting companys online,
    I find this statement very puzzling. The editor gave you a link to the company he recommends in this very thread.

also i looked up these places but dont know there exact location - there is parasailing on lake shasta??? where exactly is that??
    Lake Shasta is in northern California, near Redding. Nowhere near your current route.

Calistoga is also north of San Francisco, up around Napa. I really would recommend going back to the map recommendations made earlier in this thread. Both of these places could be found by using mapquest or a similar online program. California is a big place, you'll find your planning is a lot easier with a good map on your side.

i checked the link the editor gave me about oars but they only do a minium of 4day trip on the canyon and im going to be there only 2days and already have accomodation booked on the north rim and i cant find a company that goes from near here for only half day with no overnight stay!

oh and i got a map :)
    Last edited by AZBuck; 04-27-2007 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Good Neighbor Policy

Default If OARS doesn't do it....

i checked the link the editor gave me about oars but they only do a minium of 4day trip on the canyon and im going to be there only 2days and already have accomodation booked on the north rim and i cant find a company that goes from near here for only half day with no overnight stay!
    If whitewater rafting is a huge preference -- and it is very cool -- you will not be able to do it on the Colorado in that 1/2 day period. As you will discover when you reach the Grand Canyon -- there are NO roads inside the canyon and there is no easy way to reach the river. It is a full day's journey to carry passengers and rafts to any of the put-in spots and so a 1/2 day trip would require dropping customers and rafts from a moving helicopter (no -- this is not possible...) into the river.

There hasn't been much rain in the Sierras this year (but a late snow storm has ramped-up some of the local rivers) and you might find excellent white-water options on the Kern River and on the Kings River (both of which you could pick up on your drive between SF and LA). The Kings River is a good one for beginning rafters (located near Fresno and can be done in a day)-- I am not familiar with this firm -- but they do the Kings. Even better, this other firm, does 1/2 day trips on the Kings and although I have not done any trips with them, they have been around a while!

Mark

cool thanx for all your help! i looked into them and the kings river is about 3 1/2 hours from monterey but the trip starts at 10am so wed be up at the crack of dawn to find the place...i kinda wish now i hadnt booked acomodation its tying me down so much but i was just so scared i wouldnt get accomodation been peak season...il know for my next trip so!!! :)

Default Surprisingly -- there are 1/2 day trips in the Grand....

l know for my next trip so!!! :)
    It surprises me, but the Grand Canyon NP site does have some information about 1/2 trips on the Grand. So, check it out here.

Mark