1. Default Another Vegas-deathvalley-san fran thread

First post on this forum! After spending an hour searching, I havent been able to find my questions already answered on another thread, but I apologise now if Im asking questions that have already been covered.

We are driving from Vegas to Yosemite, with a one night stop over in death valley, at the end of June. First question is, what is the best, most scenic route to take?

From my map can see two options. One is taking (interstate?) 15 south west out of vegas then taking (highway?) 127 North, turning West on to (highway?) 190 straight into Death Valley (sorry but I dont know the difference between a US highway, a state highway and a county highway! Could someone please explain to a dumbass Brit!)

The second is to head North West out of Vegas on 95 until we meet up with 373, take 373 south until it meets 127, then head west on 190 into death Valley.

Question for anyone who knows about Death Valley. Is it feasible to drive in the hours of darkeness up to Dantes View, to watch the sunrise? Are the roads safe? Any sheer drops/sharp turns etc that are hard to navigate in darkness?

For the next part of our trip (once we've sorted out the Vegas-death valley part) we will be heading for Yosemite. Havent planned any exact routes yet, but have read a few times on this forum that the Tioga Pass is meant to be the best road to use? Have also read that this road is not always open? Why is this and what are the chances of it being open last week in June? is it best to have an alternative route in case its closed?

Sure I'll have plenty more questions, but I'll leave it here for starters!

Thanks in advance for any tips/info/suggestions.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Search the Locals

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

We apprciate you trying to find what you are looking for. There actually are answers to your questions on here already, but they can be tricky to find sometimes.

As far as routes from LV to DV, the second option you listed would be better than using I-15. However, the Editor has posted the "local's route" on here more than a few times. This is one post where he lays out the roads he recommends.

Tioga should be open by late June this year. The road is closed seasonally by snow, and there has been very little snow this year, so it should be open in plenty of time for your trip.