1. Default Phoenix to Los Angeles - Advice needed

My friend is buying a car in Phoenix and we'll be flying in, then driving back to Los Angeles the next day. Are there any fun stops along the 10? Short hikes? Interesting tourist attractions? (Not interested in outlet malls please and have been to Palm Springs plenty of times!)

Thank you!

Default How much time do you actually have?

Quote Originally Posted by unrulyred View Post
    My friend is buying a car in Phoenix and we'll be flying in, then driving back to Los Angeles the next day. Are there any fun stops along the 10?
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! There is plenty of cool stuff to do and see -- how much time do you actually have for the side trips? How long in total do you want to be on the road?

Left to my own choices -- I could easily find 8-10 hours of diversions on such a route, but if you were to plan to make a few stops within 15 miles of the Interstate 10 here are some possibilities:

1. The Blythe Intaglios are about 15 miles north of the Interstate alongside US-95. There are six huge drawings depicting both human and animal forms. The largest of these Intaglios is 171 feet long. It is pretty tough to see the scale of these artforms from the ground -- but the site makes for a nice walk and break from driving.

2. I-10 skirts the southern edge of Joshua Tree National Park and it is a pretty neat drive, with lots of hiking trails to drive up to Twentynine Palms. (or at least to the 15 mile threshold of this post)

3. Box Canyon Road the overlook of the Salton Sea (pretty weird -- but interesting nonetheless)

4. Desert Hot Springs...

5. A new car eh? How about taking the windy road south and west of Palm Desert -- CA-74 is an awesome road for checking out the hill-climbing ability of a new ride! (It is not that big a detour and what an awesome view!)

6. The Cabazon Dinosaurs -- you mentioned the outlet malls -- but have you ever taken a photo of the T-Rex and his buddies there?

7. This is still Apple Blossom time -- another very cool ride is up to Oak Glen.

Anyway hope this gets you started.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-11-2007 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Added some ideas

3. Default Re: How much time?

Well, the drive is probably 6-7 hours straight I think, so we'll probably have a couple of extra hours to make stops. These are great suggestions! Especially excited to try the new (actually an old car - a "classic") ride's abilities on the CA-74!

Thank you!

Default Distances and time

Quote Originally Posted by unrulyred View Post
    Well, the drive is probably 6-7 hours straight
    Depending upon the final destination -- it is around 385 miles and depending upon what kind of traffic you hit -- should be ~ 7 hours.
    Especially excited to try the new (actually an old car - a "classic") ride's abilities on the CA-74!
    Yeah, that should be a fun road -- that detour will add 1-2 hours depending upon how often you stop.

Have fun!

Mark