1. Default Winter Road Trip - SF - LV

hello

I am a first time user on this site. I am planning a holiday to Canada & the USA at the end of the year. One of our trips will be traveling from San Fransisco to Las Vegas - we will prob be doing this trip around the 5th Jan and have at least 5/6 days to complete the journey. We would like to go via Yosemite. Which is the best/easiest/quickest route to take to Vegas from Yosemite? Will we have difficulty with most of the roads being closed due to the snow? Is there anywhere anyone would recomend we should visit on route? Is this a silly time of the year to make this particular trip?

Any help/advise would be much appreciated as we really are new to these kind of holidays!

Many thanks

Amy

Default Winter is a beautiful time of year to road trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Check_mate View Post
    I am planning a holiday to Canada & the USA at the end of the year.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Winter can be a lovely time to travel in the Americas -- you do need to be prepared for winter driving. Here are some tips and we really suggest you consider getting the latest in ice scrapers....
    One of our trips will be traveling from San Fransisco to Las Vegas - we will prob be doing this trip around the 5th Jan and have at least 5/6 days to complete the journey. We would like to go via Yosemite. Which is the best/easiest/quickest route to take to Vegas from Yosemite?
    As you may have figured out from reading the posts on this subject -- Tioga Pass which is on CA-120 will be closed during your visit due to snow, so you will need to find a way to get around the Sierra Nevada mountains to reach Las Vegas from Yosemite.

There are basically two or three routes that will work in January. US-50 or I-80 cross the Sierras around Lake Tahoe and then you could follow US-395 down to CA-190 and follow that through Death Valley and then onto Las Vegas.

Or you can travel down the western slope of the mountains and cross on CA-58 and either go north and into Death Valley or continue east to Barstow and follow I-15 to Las Vegas.

There are hundreds of posts on this forum discussing some of these options. If you look at this thread, you will be able to start reading some of these other ideas.

Mark