1. Default Driving Blue Ridge Parkway in a day

Hi,

Next Monday my wife and I will fly to Richmond, VA (from Houston, TX) to pick up a used truck (2003 Subaru Baja). We plan to drive part of the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way back. Since we have to get back to Houston late Wednesday, we really don't have much time for sight seeing but we don't want to miss a chance to drive at least part of this famous roadway. We plan to take the interstates from Richmond, VA to Roanoke, VA Monday evening and stop for the night. Early Tuesday morning, we will enter the Blue Ridge Parkway from Roanoke and will try to cover as much as we can in one day. Do you think I can reasonably reach Asheville, NC early in the evening? I'm a very experienced long-distance driver so driving all day long at the pleasure 45-mph speed limit is a piece of cake. Besides, driving that beautiful road this time of the year with a nice looking lady next to you, what more could you ask? From Asheville, NC, what is the best route to Houston, TX? Shoud I bypass Atlanta to avoid traffic? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dan

Default Better check the road conditions

Quote Originally Posted by ddang View Post
    We plan to drive part of the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way back.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Normally, I would say that your timing is perfect -- April on the Blue Ridge Parkway is often ideal -- but last week's unseasonably cold snap laid some fresh ice in some of the draws and it still might be a little dicey through stretches next week. Here is the road conditions report line: (828) 298 0398 administered by the NPS.
    Do you think I can reasonably reach Asheville, NC early in the evening? I'm a very experienced long-distance driver so driving all day long at the pleasure 45-mph speed limit is a piece of cake.
    Normal circumstances it should be fine! I think you need to figure an average of 35 mph, especially if the weather brings the fog.
    Besides, driving that beautiful road this time of the year with a nice looking lady next to you, what more could you ask?
    That does sound ideal.
    Here are some more threads, with posts therein about this enchanting route:
    Roadtrip from Austin, Texas to Boston
    2nd Week Of April = Planned Trip
    St. Louis to the Smokies Roadtrip
    Skyline Drive and the Great Smokies

Here is a sample route, put together by the Byways Organization with suggested stops.
    From Asheville, NC, what is the best route to Houston, TX? Shoud I bypass Atlanta to avoid traffic?
    As you know, it is about 1000 miles on the direct shot (through Atlanta) and I don't think you will see much of a net savings in time to bypass it.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-11-2007 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added some more navigational links

3. Default Phone number stored.

Thanks for the advices; I had the road condition number stored on my cell to be used later. As for bypassing Atlanta, I'm thinking of taking I59 through Birmingham, AL then down to I10. The distances look about the same but I'm not so sure. Are both of these routes frequented by commercial trucks? I plan to do that 1000 miles in one day so I don't want too much interferences with those huge rigs.

Dan

Default Much safer to break-up the trip!

As for bypassing Atlanta, I'm thinking of taking I59 through Birmingham, AL then down to I10.
    Distances might be similar, but I don't don't see any advantages in terms of time. What route were you planning on using to go from Asheville to I-59? Unless you go north on I-40 to I-75, you will find it very slow going south of the Great Smokey Mountains NP.
    Are both of these routes frequented by commercial trucks?
    Of course! These are both major Interstate highways, in addition, every arterial road in Alabama is a truck route.
    I plan to do that 1000 miles in one day so I don't want too much interferences with those huge rigs.
    Even for professional drivers, 1000 miles is really, really pushing the limits beyond what is either fun or safe. Now, it can be done. I did a 1000 miler day a couple of months ago and if you practice some diligence with the speed run suggestions, you will be OK. But you are there with that same fine woman (co-pilot) don't you think you could fit in another night on the road and make it a much more pleasant drive for both of you?

Also, here is an article I wrote that addresses truck and car safety on the highway:
    "Road Hash: Six Ways to Avoid it"

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-13-2007 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added link to article

5. Default Going throug Atlanta

I've decided to take the Atlanta route per your sugestion; it's much more natural from where I exit the Blue Ridge Parkway. As for doing 1000 miles in a day, I've done it a few times but there're reasons and methods to it. Since Texas is a huge state and not much to see along the way, getting out of the state or coming in is a major portion of the trip, regardless of where you go and I want to do it quickly and painlessly as possible. I'd start around 4:00AM or even earlier, by the time the sun comes up I may have covered 200+ miles already so now you're realistically looking at 800 miles for the next 12 hours or so. I would only do this the first day of the trip when I'm not tired or the last day of the trip when I know that I'll get plenty of rest when I'm home. You're right that I still have that fine lady with me the whole way, and she also takes the wheel from time to time so I think we will be OK. As I get older I find it's getting harder to enjoy such a push. I may have to re-think my strategy for future trips. Again, thank you very much for all the road knowledges and wise advices.

Default A Texan would say this????

Since Texas is a huge state and not much to see along the way,
    Texas is chock-full of interesting places and hidden gems, I can't believe a Texan resident would say that! Maybe you need to some do some local exploring? Here is a site I use whenever I find my path wending to the Lone Star State.

Mark