Default San Francisco-Nevada-Arizona-Los Angeles

My partner and I will be in San Francisco from 18th-28th June 2007 and then we have 5-6 days for a roadtrip.

Now we both drive so we can take turns...
    Im disabelled, so i cant walk too far, so your understand that hiking and long walks are off limit to me....
    Plus we are anxious and concerned, as we are two females on the road, so safety is a must!

My sorta planned route is:

1st Day
    San Francisco (leave 28th June 2007 Early in morning)

Santa Cruz for breakfast

Down the Coast to Cambria
    *is there any particular great places to stop?
    (Taking in scenary, maybe a stop or two for pictures)

Along the CA-46/CA-99 to Bakersfield? -
    Stay for the night here I think -Unless anyone has a better idea nearby?...
    *Does anyone know of anything good to do in this town/city?

2nd Day
    Drive to Las Vegas, check it out, stay the night.

3rd Day
    Leave Las Vegas midday...
    Drive to Peach Springs, check into the Hualapai Lodge - do the package deal to Grand canyon west/skywalk next day.

4th Day
    Grand Canyon day

Drive that evening to Los Angeles...Find a motel on route if too tired...

5th Day
    Los Angeles

6th Day
    Flight home to UK

Does anyone have any ideas if this will work?

Is the Grand Canyon West ok to go to -as i said before, its an excursion and I cant hike or walk far, so I thought this would at least give me a glimpse of Grand Canyon.

Should I allow longer time in LA? Is it worth longer to stay there?

Should I cut my San Francisco trip by another day, to give me an extra day?

Is the route ok?

Sorry for so many questions, but im in the UK- never been that side of the USA before, and Im such an organised person, and want to make sure im doing this alright?

I've looked all over the net, and all over this forum, gathering information, but this exact route isnt on here....So any help would be apprciated!

Thanks

Default Some ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebutterflier View Post
    My partner and I will be in San Francisco from 18th-28th June 2007 and then we have 5-6 days for a roadtrip.
    Thanks again for posting this thread (after I accidently deleted it).

1) Your road trip portion of the holiday will occur during a very busy holiday here in the states (July 4th weekend) and so there will likely be lots of crowds at the attractions.

2) It might be helpful if you knew were Grand Canyon West is. It is three hours Northwest from Peach Springs (nearly 122 miles) it is much closer to Las Vegas and therefore it may not be your best plan to stay at the lodge in Peach Springs. Here is a map and driving directions for the SkyWalk attraction. A couple more things -- the cost to go out on the SkyWalk is $75.00 ($50 to get a park pass + $25 to walk on the SkyWalk). Cameras are prohibited at the SkyWalk and since this is not a federal park (National Park) it is unclear how good a job the contractors have done to address mobility issues. Both the south and north rim were designed to accomodate visitors with mobilty difficulties. One final consideration -- the road into the private Hualapai park is very rough and technically you are not supposed to drive rental cars on un-paved roads.
    Down the Coast to Cambria
    *is there any particular great places to stop?
    (Taking in scenary, maybe a stop or two for pictures)
    The Big Sur is one of the most gorgeous routes -- you will have no difficulty finding beautiful places to stop. Personally I think you should stay overnight in either Morro Bay or Santa Maria.
    2nd Day
    Drive to Las Vegas, check it out, stay the night.
    That is fine.
    3rd Day
    Leave Las Vegas midday...
    Drive to Peach Springs, check into the Hualapai Lodge - do the package deal to Grand canyon west/skywalk next day
    .Only if they drive -- otherwise this makes no sense.
    Drive that evening to Los Angeles...Find a motel on route if too tired...
    Too long a day -- I would stay overnight at either Las Vegas or Barstow.
    I've looked all over the net, and all over this forum, gathering information, but this exact route isnt on here....So any help would be apprciated!
    Actually, this route has been addressed in about 1200 threads on this Forum -- you might find some helpful tips here. And at the bottom of this page.

Mark

Default Im changing the plan!

Mark,

Thanks for your reply, it really helped.

I just saw another post about Grand Canyon West and have decided it is a rip off and not for us....

So now im re-doing the plan, taking in mind the stop offs!

You see, I know its a sin for saying it, but I only want to have an hour or two at Grand Canyon and so does my partner, its a short road trip, to just see things before we leave for home. We plan to do places for longer another time.

So now im looking into going to the South Rim and doing a helicopter ride.

We have also decided that we dont want to stay in Las Vegas either, so just a drive through and break there, as we want to go and see hoover dam.

So if anyone knows of good places to go, ie: williams or nearby to the south rim, so that we can stay the night before going to Grand Canyon the next morning.

So my plan so far still has....

Day One
    San Francisco
    to
    Santa Cruz (breakfast)
    to
    Cambria (break)
    to
    Bakersfield (stay)

Day Two
    Bakersfield
    to
    Las vegas (break)
    to
    Hoover Dam(break)
    to
    Somewhere to stay (williams?)

Day Three
    Grand Canyon (helicopter ride, hour or so there)
    to
    Barstow (stay if tired)
    to
    Los Angeles

What do you think so far?
    I reckon about 7-8 hrs driving a day or so?

Default It is not really a rip-off, but it is a fundraising approach

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebutterflier View Post
    I just saw another post about Grand Canyon West and have decided it is a rip off and not for us....
    You have to consider what is really going on here. The Hualapai Nation has gorgeous land, but it is a little short of economic value and the Grand Canyon West project was envisioned as means of earning sufficient money to survive in the modern 21st century. Very much a parallel with the Monument Valley Tribal Park -- it is not part of their culture to "rip-off" anyone -- but it is an attempt to capture some tourist dollars and as long as you remember you are making a "donation to the nation" and not paying for a class A tourist experience it might well be for you. I am still going to go later in the year and make as much a donation as seems prudent.
    You see, I know its a sin for saying it, but I only want to have an hour or two at Grand Canyon
    Two hours is still better than no hours....
    So now im looking into going to the South Rim and doing a helicopter ride.
    Both places correct? Because helicopters don't fly to the south rim (they go to the west rim) near the SkyWalk.
    Day One
    San Francisco to Santa Cruz (breakfast) to Cambria (break) to Bakersfield (stay)
    I don't know how else to say this -- You guys are going to be driving on the wrong side of the road, along magnificent cliff-faced roads, you MUST NOT TRY TO DRIVE FROM San Francisco to Bakersfield in one day via the coast route. (If you stop in the usual places, this will require 10+ hours of challenging driving!

Day Two: I still think you should start in Cambria or Santa Maria[/U] or on the coast someplace and then drive to Barstow (CA-58) and then I-15 to St. Rose Parkway (shortcut) to I-515 to US-93 and the Hoover Dam and stay overnight at either Kingman or Williams.
    Day Three: Grand Canyon (helicopter ride, hour or so there) to
    Barstow (stay if tired) to Los Angeles
    Where are you planning to find a helicopter at the south rim? (Williams? maybe?)
    What do you think so far? I reckon about 7-8 hrs driving a day or so?
    Uh, nope. You are trying to drive too far each day -- every day will be at least 10 hours of driving. Or you can figured that I really don't know and try it your way anyway....

Mark