Default New York to Arizona

Hi Everyone. I am planning a trip from Upsate New York to Arizona this summer and I have a few questions.
    1. It looks like I need 4 days minimum to make the drive?
    2. Should I try and book hotels in advance?
    3. If not booking hotels in advance, when is too late to show up to try and get a room?

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Motels, and more

Greetings Tuckit and welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckit
    1. It looks like I need 4 days minimum to make the drive?
    New York to Arizona, I would probably say 4 days would be a safe, comfortable trip. You could probably do 3 long days, but you will be exhausted.

2. Should I try and book hotels in advance?
    Depends. If you're on a tight schedule, you might want to. I personally don't just because I don't know where I'm going to be when I finally get tired enough to stop for the night. It's a personal decision, lots of people do, lots don't.

3. If not booking hotels in advance, when is too late to show up to try and get a room?
    There really is not a "too late" to show up and get a motel room. Most motels have night auditors and night desk clerks available all hours of the night. I've pulled in for the night at almost 11 PM before just because we were going through the middle-of-nowhere. It can be easier to get a room earlier in the day though.

Hope this helps!
    -Brad
    Last edited by Mass Tim; 04-09-2007 at 04:33 PM. Reason: fixed a quote

Default Planning the trip

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckit
    I think the latest I've checked into a room is around 1 or 2am - though I do prefer to have some time to decompress and enjoy the room for at least a little while before dozing off.

How much time do you have for your journey?

Default Just for you

The question of making reservations comes up frequently on the forum. Here is an article that discusses the pros and cons of pre-booking vs. winging it.

As far as how late you can check in, I've pulled into a hotel as late as 3-4 am. I'm a night owl and don't mind making miles at night, so its actually ususual for me to be stopping at a motel before 1 am! The only problem is that a lot of places don't like change their checkout time no matter how late you arrive, so when you check really late you might have to check out just a few hours later.