1. Default kansas city to San diego

Hello All,
    My husband and I are going to spend our summer in san diego, and we plan to drive there. I would like some tips and suggestions:

1) What would be the best route from kansas city to san diego? We are not too keen on I-70 since it is mountainous

2) Some good (and safe) places to stay for the night, along the way. We do not plan to do any sight seeing along the way.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Default Straight run

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Its a shame you don't want to drive I-70. It certainly my favorite stretch of Interstate in the country. Interstate driving is nothing like driving on twisting mountain roads, so I've never understood why people would avoid it, but I digress.

The fastest route would be to take I-35 down to OK City, and then use I-40 to I-15. This trip can be done in as little as 3 days, with overnight stops likely in Amarillo, TX and in Flagstaff, AZ.

3. Default I-70 is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by shanya17 View Post
    Hello All,
    My husband and I are going to spend our summer in san diego, and we plan to drive there. I would like some tips and suggestions:

1) What would be the best route from kansas city to san diego? We are not too keen on I-70 since it is mountainous

2) Some good (and safe) places to stay for the night, along the way. We do not plan to do any sight seeing along the way.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
    We live in Overland Park, KS and my wife's family lived in the Orange County, CA area and the San Diego - Carlsbad area. We made this trip every summer for over 20 years, usually with 2 daughters. We loved every trip, even when something didn't go as planned. Over the years we've made numerous variations on the route and I-70 / I-15 is by far the best route. Unless you are pulling a huge trailer or have some other reason to avoid the mountains, don't. There are certainly some steep grades on parts of the trip, but as long as you aren't riding the brakes downhill, you shouldn't have any problems. While you indicate that you don't plan on doing any sight seeing on your trip, you might as well enjoy the beautiful views out the window. I've made the trip in as few as 2 days each way stopping only in Green River, UT (mosquito capital of the US - 1,000 mi from KC) or as many as 7 days each way. I-70 through Colorado is beautiful and there are several great places to stop for a few minutes, a few hours or a few days. I-70 is much more interesting and scenic drive than the southern route. Unless you have to make the drive in a hurry, stop occasionally and enjoy the trip. The Colorado river canyon near Glenwood Springs is gorgeous even if you don't leave the car. Many other scenic areas on the drive as well. Colorado wine county is great (Palisade/Grand Junction area). Wine Country Inn in Palisade CO is a great place to stay as well. The national parks in Utah should not be missed even if you simply drive through the parks and take in some of the scenic overviews. The Virgin River canyon in the corner of Arizona that I-15 catches is also pretty. Las Vegas is amusing to drive through if you haven't done so. All in all, a great drive, we learned to take our time and enjoy the drive rather than rushing it.

Welcome to the RTA Forum, Ozlaw!

We thank you for sharing your advice and experience with your first post - however, it is worth noting that this thread is now a decade old, so this specific trip has long since taken place. Hopefully others viewing this will be able to learn from your experience - although it should be noted that attempting this trip in 2 days, and driving 1000 miles in a day is very dangerous and certainly not recommended.

Hi, ozlaw, and welcome to the RTA forums! It's nice to see that someone pipes in on a route that they're so familiar with, as you seem to be.

That said, though, the thread you responded to is over 10 years old.

On RTA, we never ever ever advocate a straight-through-no-stops run of 1000 miles, though. First off, it's unsafe. KC to Orange County OR San Diego is 3 days, minimum. My husband and I make that run often because of family in mid-Missouri. The maximum that we drive is around 10 hours per day, which is roughly what commercial drivers are allowed to do. We don't like to race through the drive between Denver and Richfield, UT, anyway, because it's gorgeous (as you mentioned).

For the record, our usual stops are around Richfield UT and Burlington, CO. Last summer, we wished we'd stopped in Aurora instead of Burlington, however. More choices and our favorite little motel in Burlington has changed owners and we weren't impressed. We were "only" going into Salina, KS this time around, then on to Lake Ozark/Osage Beach, MO.

Donna