1. Default North Carolina to LA

Got about two weeks to make this trip starting in the first week of June. Any ideas on best routes and best sites to see? My friend and I would like to hit up a few state parks, Colorado, Utah, and we're also willing to camp out in a few places. Would love some advice. Thanks.

Default Not Enough to Go On

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

We'll need more help from you before we can offer help to you. Is the two weeks for a round trip or a one way drive. Where in North Carolina are you starting from? What are your interests? What are your friend's? Would you be camping just to save money? If so, what kind of budget constraints will you be operating under?

One of the unwritten philosophies behind this web site is that there really isn't a one-size-fits-all RoadTrip. Each drive is unique to the individuals involved and their circumstances of the moment. That is why we have such a tough time with such "What's the best trip?" questions with little information behind them. Hope you understand and can be a bit more forthcoming.

AZBuck

3. Default

I know this is a late response, but the trip is starting next week, so I'm really trying to iron some details out. We're basically set from NC to Chicago and then to MN.

What we don't know is where we're staying at in Mt. Rushmore, CO, or Utah.

We were thinking of stopping in Denver for a day or two to see some old friends and then I think we were going to head to Arches and Moab to stay (probably camp) for a day. Our next leg might be to Zion to camp where we will probably camp as well. We're also thinking the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, but we're not really sure if we'll be able to find a place to stay or a place to camp. Any ideas. After that, it's to Vegas for a night and then to the final destination of Newport Beach, CA.

Any suggestions on places we should stay/camp in Utah or CO that I did mention or maybe didn't mention above?

Thanks

Default Reservations recommended

I'm not usually big on reservations. However, you're going to some of the most popular parks at the busiest time of the year. I think you should try to get reservations ASAP.

This website can help you make reservations for camping in the national parks. Most of the areas will also have commercial campgrounds close-by. I'm not a big fan of KOA's but, when I'm on the road, they'll do. The one that might be most challenging is the North Rim of the GC. It's pretty isolated and there are no commercial campgrounds nearby. So I'd start there to try to get a reservation on-site. Page and Kanab are two towns that are probably the closest that will have alternative choices. And there might be some on the road to the North Rim somewhere but I don't recall seeing any when I was there.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Route 66

Once at the Grand Canyon, you can get on the Mother Road and cruise part of the rest of the way or all of it on Route 66. We stayed in Williams one night and had a great time.

There is a very interesting stretch of the road from Kingman to the California border. You'll get to visit Cool Springs and the wild burros in Oatman, Arizona.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. RoadDog