Default The Ten Essentials

Greetings all. This is my first of what I hope are many posts to this forum. A little bit about me; let's see, I'm just into my fifth decade and due to a real enthusiasm for running great distances in my 20-30-40's have a badly crippled back.

I'm recently divorced (I was more fun when I was running.) and just last August put my best friend to sleep 'cause she was just gettin' too old to walk.

My career spanned a stint with a mortician when I wanted to attend medical school and eventually into engineering school and eventually into the geography department. I have worked for the US Forest Service and some local municipalities in Oregon.

OK, now that you are really bored, I'll continue with my thread. I am planning on taking two road trips in the next couple of years. One, to the NE to see the fall leaves and then south to the Civil War sites and home. Two, ferry to Alaska out of Seattle and then trip around Alaska. I have started this planning process just in the last week. Here are my two big questions:

1. Do you think it's a good idea to carry a pistol?
    2. Do you think a Ford Van would be the proper vehicle to trip in? I researched a restored VW Vanagon Camper but they are about ten-thousand past my budget.

Sure hope to hear from you on these issues and I certainly hope I haven't offended anyone.
    Craig Holman

Default Really Bad Ideas

Welcome to the RTA Forum! We hope you will be making plenty of posts too!

In answer to your first question, carrying a pistol is a really, really, bad idea. Common Sense is far more likely to get you out of any trouble than a gun. Carrying a gun will likely get you hauled off to jail or worse, either because you've broken a local law, or because you got into a situation that has escalated so far that you felt the need to use it.

Now for your second question, I'm of the opinion that any vehicle that you can use is a great roadtrip vehicle. A ford van could certainly be converted into a cozy, but comfortable way to travel solo across the country.

Default The Gun Thing

Thanks for the warm welcome and the gun thing sounds like sage advice from a seasoned traveler.
    Thanks

Default Common sense always trumps a weapon

Quote Originally Posted by holmancv View Post
    ...and just last August put my best friend to sleep 'cause she was just gettin' too old to walk.
    I know that feeling....
    I have worked for the US Forest Service and some local municipalities in Oregon.
    I was an IR firefighter for three years, a few decades ago, and know that culture.
    1. Do you think it's a good idea to carry a pisto
    l?An absolutely terrible idea -- too limiting -- much better to develop your wits -- some more ideas here.
    2. Do you think a Ford Van would be the proper vehicle to trip in?
    It would probably be fine, as long as it runs well.

I am not sure what the other "eight" essentials were... but here is a good list of the type of gear I carry on any given roadtrip.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-17-2007 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Added link to gear list

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

I used to carry a pistol. but saw a camper pull one once on other campers over a goofy parking issue and unfortunatly, others then pulled their pistols and they got used.
    I now carry the legal Mace/ pepperspray kinda stuff like the mailman has.

Most retirees that I know start short trips, then work longer trips from there.
    Ford van is fine, several passionate Ford owners in this forum.
    But, the Vanagon is excellent if you can swing it.

You can always re-sell it for just about what ya have in it is the cool thing about Vanagons.

Ya meet lot's of nice people on the road.

We'll be visiting Civil War Country too this Summer and got a good trip tic from AAA helping us highlite it.