Default Solo Trip - Detroit to San Diego and back

Hi everyone!

On April 28th I plan on leaving for San Diego to visit a pal and then drive back (I have 2 weeks). I'm taking the southern route there (mainly I-40) and the north route back (mainly I-70-80).

I plan on visiting the Four Corners Monument, Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon on the way there.

On the way back I plan on driving through Death Valley, Zion NP and the Arches NP.

I've read some threads where people posted about their long solo trips so I'm more at ease at taking on this endeavor. My main questions are:

--Is the Hoover Dam worth visiting?
    --How weird is it driving through the desert all alone?
    --I've read that crime rates are high on some reservations, what are your impressions?
    --What are the can't miss things to see outside of the ones mentioned above and San Diego itself?
    --Any advice on areas to flat out avoid (especially for sleepovers)?

Thanks for your responses. I've been looking all over the web for a way to chat with people about this...hopefully I've found it.

Default Sounds like a grand adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by hank_scorpio53 View Post
    On April 28th I plan on leaving for San Diego to visit a pal and then drive back
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! It sounds like a great route, except that you unless you really an experienced solo traveler you may be trying to get in too many stops over the the two week period. If you drove both directions in the shortest route (which in this case is the I-70 route) the minimum distance (roundtrip) would be 4686 which would require a minimum of seven days of 11+ hours of driving. When you add the additional miles to drop down to I-40 and do the Grand and zig zag around as you have indicated, the mileage will easily top 5500 miles and if you spend a couple days in San Diego, you would need to drive at least eight hours per day to cover that much ground, which doesn't leave much time for sightseeing. It is possible, but you are really going to get fatigued. You certainly need to read these tips for speed runs and make time for rest stops!
    --Is the Hoover Dam worth visiting?
    Absoutely, here is a field report and also one from Chloride, Arizona.
    --How weird is it driving through the desert all alone?
    I find it very relaxing -- it is pretty hard to find yourself "alone" if you stick to major roads.
    --I've read that crime rates are high on some reservations, what are your impressions?
    You need to be aware of your surroundings -- much like when you are in urban areas.
    Thanks for your responses. I've been looking all over the web for a way to chat with people about this...hopefully I've found it
    We are not set up to "chat" but you will find lots of expert opinions here. I-70 is a gorgeous route in Utah and Colorado -- here are a couple of field reports -- viewpoints on the highway and some off-highway explorations.

Mark