1. Default Irish Students Summer roadtrip Cali, Vegas, Grand Canyon

Hi there!

I'm an Irish student and myself and a few friends are travelling to the states for the summer working in LA. Our work contract ends early September and we were planning on hiring a convertible in LA and hitting the road, then flying home from Las Vegas 10 days later.

So far the plan is to leave LA and head to Zion national park to catch some of the fantastic scenery. We will probably spend one night there. We also want to visit the Grand Canyon before heading to Vegas, where we were planning on spending 4-5 days.

As you can probably see we have some spare time at the beginning of the trip and I was wondering does anyone have any recommendations of places we should catch? Is there anything to see or do near the Grand Canyon (other than the canyon itself!)? What is the drive from Zion to Grand Canyon like?

Also, I've been looking at one way car hire and Dollar seems the cheapest, even when you add on the daily surcharge for being under 25. Are they any good?

Any other comments/suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Tucson, AZ

Default Nice End to a Summer

Céad Míle Fáilte!

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Start by checking out this thread as well as the links in it to get a general idea of what's available between Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Then check out a few of the many things to do around Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon. As far as American car hire firms go, all of the major national companies, Dollar included, are similar in terms of fleet quality and general level of service, so you might as well choose on the basis of cost. Just be sure to read all the fine print so that you know what the final cost of the rental will be.

3. Default

Thanks for the welcome! I've been reading through some of the posts and I'm not sure about hiring a convertible, it sounds like the heat is unbearable sometimes. Is it a good or bad idea to hire a convertible for driving through places like arizona or should we get a car with good air con? I kinda liked the idea but if we're going to bake in the heat I'll just have to let it go!

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default All covertibles have a/c

Quote Originally Posted by leviz View Post
    it sounds like the heat is unbearable sometimes.
    It is not the heat you have to be concerned about -- you will have a good a/c in the car, it is the sun! You can always put up the top to block the sun -- but if you have always had the the dream, and you got the cash, do the convertible!

Personally, I don't enjoy air rushing about my head at high speeds -- so I never would choose an open top vehicle (except for a jeep)...