Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Car Rally July 29 – Aug 4, 2007

This will put a new sparkle in our speed runs! Just received a press release for a car rally event called "The Great American Run" which modeled along the lines of the historic Cannonball Road Ralleys of the 1970's.

Basically 400 vehicles will be leaving from these four cities: Miami, FL; Atlanta, GA; Washington D.C. and New York City, NY. (100 from each city) and racing to Las Vegas and then into Los Angeles.

More information is online here.

Tucson, AZ

Default Rallies

I'm not sure exactly how this one will be run, but I used to 'race' in a number of rallies when I lived in Delaware. Perhaps a word or two about such events is in order for those not familiar with them. Lest anyone get the wrong idea, these are not speed events. Note that the web site specifically states that it will never be necessary to exceed the speed limit. Rather these are tests of one's navigational and driving skills. The object in such 'races' is to get from point A to point B in a specified amount of time by way of a specified route. Arriving early is penalized as heavily as arriving late. The trick is that one does not know, even while driving, where point B is or what the specified time is. You are given a set of instructions, in this case apparently a map, and are to follow those instructions as closely as possible. At points along the route, there will be checkpoints that will determine whether you are on time or how many penalty points to assess, say 1 per second - early or late. When done right, and I suspect this one will be, these offer great excursions along scenic roads while simultaneously keeping the driver (and navigator) on their toes and completely tuned into the joys of driving. If such endeavors sound intriguing, you should look into the availability of such events in your own neck of the woods. The best are sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America.

That certainly sounds fun, but I suspect I'd end up getting shot by a trooper! AZBuck, sounds fun, but their mention of the Gumball Rally in their promotional text suggests it might not be so civilised!