1. Default Travel from Northern California to St Louis, MO

Not one of the most famous trips, I bet.

My folks recently moved to St Louis, MO and I have been summoned back to stay for the summer (horrible). Not looking forward to it, but nonetheless, what I want does not matter here..

So my mom is not thrilled that I want to make this drive, so I must prepare the best route that if I get stuck on the side of the road at, I wouldn't get jumped or mugged.

So.. my plan is:
    1. Drive from NorCal to San Francisco via US-101.
    2. San Francisco to Reno on 80.
    3. Reno to Salt Lake City.
    4. Salt Lake City to Lincoln, NE.
    5. Lincoln, NE to St. Louis, MO.

HOw's that sound? I'm driving alone and therefore can only do about 8-9 hours a day and stop for the night.....

PLease help!!!

2. Default

Actually this will be a pretty trip -- I'm predicting your overnights will fall a bit differently than you think though. First night, north central Nevada -- maybe Elko or Winnemucca. Second night Cheyenne, third Kansas City.

One option you might consider is to drop down through Utah and pick up I-70 -- also a beautiful drive. You'll find no problem with traveler services on either route.

Default Safety on the road

Quote Originally Posted by msong130 View Post
    My folks recently moved to St Louis, MO and I have been summoned back to stay for the summer
    I like St. Louis, why does that seem horrible to you? Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.
    So my mom is not thrilled that I want to make this drive, so I must prepare the best route that if I get stuck on the side of the road at, I wouldn't get jumped or mugged.
    You pretty much have to go looking for trouble on the road -- it rarely finds travelers. Here are six tips for having a safe roadtrip.
    1. Drive from NorCal to San Francisco via US-101.
    Where are you starting from? It would probably make more sense to cut east to I-5 and over to I-80.
    HOw's that sound? I'm driving alone and therefore can only do about 8-9 hours a day and stop for the night.....
    Most of us on this Forum prefer solo roadtripping -- here is an excellent thread to get you thinking...

Mark

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Bob View Post
    Actually this will be a pretty trip -- I'm predicting your overnights will fall a bit differently than you think though. First night, north central Nevada -- maybe Elko or Winnemucca. Second night Cheyenne, third Kansas City.

One option you might consider is to drop down through Utah and pick up I-70 -- also a beautiful drive. You'll find no problem with traveler services on either route.
    Google Maps suggested Norcal - NV - UT - NE, you think that way might be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    I like St. Louis, why does that seem horrible to you?
    I don't hate St Louis, I hate the fact that I've been independent for so long and now I have to live with my parents for the summer. My mom and I are similar in the hard-headedness and sometimes it gets a little far. like tonight.

Default Not better or worse, just different

I don't think Arizona Bob meant to indicate that that picking up I-70 is better, just different. You have lots of options. The best route is the one that takes you through places you most want to see and experience.

I'm unclear on how many days you want to take to make this trip. I'm also unclear if you actually meaning driving 8-9 hours per day, or being "on the road" 8-9 hours per day. These are two totally different things. To me, when someone says they plan on driving 8-9 hours/day, this means that you're not counting the time you will be stopping for meals/fuel/fun stops/etc. So your day on the road might be 11-12 hours long, with 8-9 hours driving and 3-4 hours eating, exploring, etc. If you mean you'll be on the road for 8-9 hours per day, then stops for food/fuel/etc. needs to come out of those hours so you might only be driving 5-8 hours. Does that make sense?

I'm figuring your travel starting from San Francisco since I'm unsure of where you're actually starting from.

If you mean you'll be driving 8-9 hours per day, then your nightly stops will probably fall roughly like this: Elko, NV; Rawlins, WY; Lincoln, NE; St. Louis, MO.

If you mean you'll be "on the road" for 8-9 hours per day taking reasonable times to stop for fuel/food and checking out a few sites along the way, your stops might fall more roughly like this: Winnemuca, NV; Evanston, WY; Kimball, NE; Avoca, NE; St. Louis, MO. Of course, you can adjust your time to make it to more major cities than Kimball and Avoca if you prefer. But small towns are safe to stay in and should have ample lodging options. Especially since they're on a main interstate.

I hope this makes sense and helps you in your planning.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PNW Judy View Post
    I don't think Arizona Bob meant to indicate that that picking up I-70 is better, just different. You have lots of options. The best route is the one that takes you through places you most want to see California Vacations.

I'm unclear on how many days you want to take to make this trip. I'm also unclear if you actually meaning driving 8-9 hours per day, or being "on the road" 8-9 hours per day. These are two totally different things. To me, when someone says they plan on driving 8-9 hours/day, this means that you're not counting the time you will be stopping for meals/fuel/fun stops/etc. So your day on the road might be 11-12 hours long, with 8-9 hours driving and 3-4 hours eating, exploring, etc. If you mean you'll be on the road for 8-9 hours per day, then stops for food/fuel/etc. needs to come out of those hours so you might only be driving 5-8 hours. Does that make sense?
    I completely agree that you should plan your routes according to what you want to see. I don't recommend cramming many things into a single day, but instead focus on the places that you want to visit the most and go from there.

Also its good to start your days early to avoid too much traffic, get out before the heat, and get a head start on those long days. If you knock a couple hours of driving out in the morning, then it gives you and your family more time to focus on the things you want to do.

Default Welcome.

Hi WaterCM, welcome to RTA !

I hope you are enjoying the forums and thanks for the input, although in this instance this trip took place more than a couple of years ago. ;-)

Dave.