Default Definite stops to make from PA to Florida

My parents are driving to Orlando from Philadelphia the week of May 5th and they need advice/suggestions on stops to make along the way. They will taking I-95 the way down and are open to anything. Could you please offer some insight on where to go. Thanks!!!!

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default A couple of ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    They will taking I-95 the way down and are open to anything.
    Do they have any interest in submarines? There is an interesting collection in St. Marys, Georgia. I have wanted to stop and do exploring along the Altamaha River and there are a couple of outfitters who provide guided canoe trips in this area. Actually, one of the places that I first learned from the Posners' book is the Roundhouse Railroad Museum in Savannah and I have always been fascinated by roundhouses....

When they reach South Carolina, have them stop at exit 5 and get some fuel at the El Cheapo Gas Station -- make sure they pay with cash and Honey the Money Dog will bring them their change. It is hard for me to pass up BBQ and we have heard that the Lone Star BBQ is pretty fine near Santee -- speaking of Santee -- I have always wanted to stop at the Santee State Park and stay overnight at some of the cabins (these are air-conditioned cabins -- my idea of roughing it in humid conditions)

And, of course, they have to stop at South of the Border...

Another thing I have always wanted to see was the parachute exercise at the Sicily Drop Zone at Ft. Bragg. Here is a short article about making arrangements.

Obviously there is plenty of Civil War historical places along the route -- and you can find several of those suggestions on this Forum -- one thing you may not have heard of is the pyramid at the Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, VA.

Another place I would like to stay overnight sometime would be the Tailwinds Farm in North East, MD --

The longest battleship ever built (The New Jersey) is open for public tours.

Anway, I hope this gets you started... (Oh -- I mis-read your post and made this post for attractions going south to north so... you will have to read from the bottom up...)

Thank you for the advice. I have to look into purchasing the book on traveling I-95. It seems as if it would be an excellent resource. Thanks again.