Thread: Trip Time Lapse

kitsune Guest

Default Trip Time Lapse

This is kind of silly, but I recently got it in my head that I wanted the ability to capture a time lapse of a roadtrip. The problem: most of my trips are too long to cram onto a single DV tape and most camera batteries wouldn't last that long, anyways.

The solution: install an inverter, mount a laptop in the trunk, use a firewire connection to a DVcam mounted with velcro on the back trunk privacy cover, and use gawker to snap a frame at a certain interval.

(hint: the camera is hidden under the hat. It isn't really noticeable unless you're looking from the front of the vehicle and know what you're searching for. Only the round lens is barely visible.)

It takes a bit of planning to get a comfortable frame and capture rate, but the results can always be tweaked in a video editor. This setup works with the vehicle off and will remain powered throughout the night if you decide to stop somewhere and want to keep the camera going. You could drive from coast to coast and compress the entire trip into a fifteen minute video if you wanted to.

Results of a three hour test run from Port Charlotte to Weston, Florida, can be seen, here. (quicktime .MOV ~19.3Mb)

My next test will be Tampa to Atlanta, a trip with a duration of about seven hours.

Default That is pretty clever

Quote Originally Posted by kitsune View Post
    This is kind of silly, but I recently got it in my head that I wanted the ability to capture a time lapse of a roadtrip.
    I experimented with a similar idea back in the mid-90's -- catching images from the dashboard of the Phoenix One -- I like this approach.

Mark

Default Fun idea!

I like it!

I have a friend who has a mount for a video camera on the center of his dash. It has a 360 deg swivel so he takes movies of himself and passengers, and things behind him, too. He puts together some real fun videos. Of course, his set-up doesn't have the elegant, automatic feature yours does.

I enjoyed the movie.

kitsune Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    I have a friend who has a mount for a video camera on the center of his dash. It has a 360 deg swivel so he takes movies of himself and passengers, and things behind him, too.
    Is it a homemade camera rig, or did they buy it? I'd love to know more!

Default Someone worth speaking with

Quote Originally Posted by kitsune View Post
    Is it a homemade camera rig, or did they buy it?
    The authors of the Drive I-95 book series have a front dash-mounted camera set-up that they use for documenting the services found along the highway. I have seen a photo of the set-up, (but, of course, now I can't find the link). But you might wish to contact either Stan or Sandra and see what they created.

Mark

Default I'll try to find out

He's a former member of my car group but I haven't spoken with him in several years. If he's not still at his old email, I don't have any other way to contact him. I'll post something if he responds.

7. Default

I hope I don't get chided for reviving this three week old post, but I'm curious to find out if anyone has tried this with a webcam?

I have an old Sony TRV-340 DV Cam, but my laptop does not have a firewire port, and I was unable to get the USB to work, apparently my old cam isn't supported on Vista, so I'm thinking buying a Firewire card for the lappy isn't going to suffice.

I've been looking at the Logitech Quickcam Fusion and Quickcam Ultra Vision. Both look like nice models with the latter using a superior lens assembly. My main concern is quality and succeptablity to vibrations as one might encounter in a moving vehicle.

8. Default

There's probably not immense interest, but I picked up one of the Quickcam Fusions this weekend to try this, and, surprisingly, it worked out very well. I needed to use a piece of software called HandyAvi to capture frames into an avi since the Logitech software didn't have the feature, but HandyAvi is really easy to use.

I experimented with capturing a frame every 2 seconds then every half a second, and playback at 30fps. The first option is 1 second of footage will be 1 minute of driving, so 60X real time; the second option is 1 second of footage will be 15 seconds of driving, so 15X real time. The 15x is really smooth, while still appearing really fast. The 60X one is too fast for me.

So, if someone was watching this for info, hopefully this helps ;)

Cheers!

Default This is very cool

Quote Originally Posted by Stratosphere View Post
    I experimented with capturing a frame every 2 seconds then every half a second, and playback at 30fps. The first option is 1 second of footage will be 1 minute of driving, so 60X real time; the second option is 1 second of footage will be 15 seconds of driving, so 15X real time. The 15x is really smooth, while still appearing really fast. The 60X one is too fast for me.
    Thanks for this field report -- very interesting!

Mark

Default awesome!

This is really cool! Sure seems a lot of work, but at the end,is a good souvenir.
    Good job there.

cool