1. Default Ohio to SF.... via I80 or I40??

I am leaving in 4 days from Ohio to San Francisco with my two dogs!! I am very scared, this is my first major roadtrip!!

I got a triptik from AAA that has me going out to hitting Southern Cali then going up to SF via the I40 route through Indiana / St Louis / Alberquerque / Amarillo, Tulsa etc., but when I did the same route on Mapquest it has a more direct route west via Omaha, Grand Island, Cheyenne, Salt Lake City, Reno etc.,

What would you recommend for this time of year? I will be towing a small U-Haul trailer and do not wish to encounter bad weather conditions if I can help it, but do want to take the most easiest route.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!
    BritChik

Default Shortest is usually the best when moving

Quote Originally Posted by britchik View Post
    I am leaving in 4 days from Ohio to San Francisco with my two dogs!!
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    I got a triptik from AAA that has me going out to hitting Southern Cali then going up to SF via the I40 route through Indiana / St Louis / Alberquerque / Amarillo, Tulsa etc., but when I did the same route on Mapquest it has a more direct route west via Omaha, Grand Island, Cheyenne, Salt Lake City, Reno etc.,
    Generally, we recommend that you take the shortest route when moving. In this case, that would be I-80. A good road condition weather site is this one.

Also you might find this article helpful for your dogs.

Mark

Default I vote mapquest

I too would go with the I-80 route. Even if you are starting in far southern Ohio, say Cinci, dropping all the way down to I-40 would seem like a pretty long detour. I agree you'd be better off working your way up to I-80 and taking that across.

I've never been a big TripTik fan, but I'd be curious why AAA suggested the I-40 route. It doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

4. Default Interesting

Interesting choice...I just plugged in to Streets & Trips from Cincinati Not sure where you are starting in OH) to SF and there is only a 100 mile difference.

The thing about the I-80 route is that you will be doing a LOT of mountain driving which I do not think you will incur as much mountain driving on I-40 (not sure of this, only drove I-40 twice on a weekend trip from SF to ALlbaquerque). Since you will be pulling a trailer this is certainly something to think about.

The I-80 route (at least what I know of it) is beautiful. Much nice than I-40 in my opinion.

Good luck and welcome to the Bay Area.

PS If you take I-80 when you get to Winnemucca, you are 6-7 hours away from SF.

Default Nope -- more gradient difference on I-40

Quote Originally Posted by dcm5150 View Post
    The thing about the I-80 route is that you will be doing a LOT of mountain driving
    Nope, it is actually considerably flatter than I-40. There is more up and down along I-40 in New Mexico and Arizona than the corresponding Great Divide sections in Wyoming.
    The I-80 route (at least what I know of it) is beautiful. Much nice than I-40 in my opinion.
    I-40 follows most of Route 66 and it is quite beautiful too -- more mountains -- I-80 features the great plains!

Mark