1. Default SF to Las Vegas via Yosemite, Death valley and Grand Canyon

I am from wales and planning a road trip from SF on 17th April ending up in Las Vegas on 21st April.

I have been scouring this site but am still a bit confused as to the best route for our trip.

We would like to take in Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Death Valley and Grand Canyon. We have 5 days and 4 nights and don't really mind what order etc as long as we get to see them all.

Any help and advice on routes etc would be very welcome as I feel a bit overwhelmed at all the information on this site so far!

Thanks in advance!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Lots to Read

Welcome to the RTA Forum! And thanks for reading, as you probably saw, there are hundreds of threads on this area, so I can see how it might be a bit overwhelming.

The one big thing when traveling at this time of year is that Tioga Pass over the Sierras at Yosemite is still closed, so you have to find another route over the mountains.

In your case, the natural route would be to head from SF to Yosemite, back north and then over the Sierra to Tahoe, From there down to Death Valley. Vegas is pretty much on the direct route from DV to Grand Canyon, so you can work that into your trip at your leasure.

Did you have any other specific questions?

3. Default Great!

Hi Michael

Thanks for replying. Any advice on whats best to see in Yosemite and Death Valley?

4. Default

Wow! That's alot to pack in such a short amount of time. Keep in mind that Yosemite is a good 4-5 hours, just to reach the Valley. Are you planning to stay in or near Yosemite the first night? Mike is right, Tioga Pass is closed which means having to access Tahoe north of Yosemite park.
    I'm sure it can all be done... it will just add alot of drive time to the trip. just plan your travel accordingly.

An alternative would be to skip Tahoe and explore Kings Canyon and Sequoia, NP to the south. I'm not sure if it will save you time, but it will push toward more accessibles route toward Death Valley and Vegas. Just a consideration.

5. Default Could be right

You could be right - maybe Lake Tahoe is one thing too many! I have been reading a lot about it and thought it would be good but would prefer to see more than drive more!

Any more suggestions on routes and sights to see?

6. Default

How did your trip go? What route did you take from SF to Yosemite? and then Yosemite to DV? Please also tell me the places you saw on route and any tips or suggestions!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default check the dates

This thread (and the other one you replied to) are both from 2007, and the original posters haven't been active since on this forum since, so I'm sorry to tell you that its very unlikely you'll be getting a response.