1. Default Looking for Ghost Towns near Barstow / Bakersfield

We will be driving back from Grand Canyon - to Barstow - and would like to see some real Ghost Towns on the way. I do know Calico is an option - but i understand that it does have some inhabitation by way of shops / stores etc. Are there some real Ghost Towns - totally deserted i mean. Our children want to see such a town and any suggestions will be appreciated.

If that is not an option - are there other interesting places to visit in and around the area - that might be unique for a bunch of city dwelling kids (from the CA bay area).

Thanks. Will appreciate any help / suggestions.

joseph

Default Calico is a county park

Quote Originally Posted by jprabhakar View Post
    I do know Calico is an option
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- Calico is now a county park, but was once owned by the founder of Knott's Berry Farm and so it is very commercial -- lots of staged gun fights and lots of visitors.
    Our children want to see such a town and any suggestions will be appreciated.
    The thing about ghost towns in California is that they either tend to disappear (people take souvenirs home) or they get re-populated (unless they are preserved like Bodie, Calico and the like).

The Ruth Mine is not that far away from Barstow -- here is a field report -- it would entail about a 2-hour detour (one-way). But along the way you could drive through Randsburg -- which is an old ghost town that is being repopulated. And there are several in Death Valley -- Leadfield and Skiddo come to mind.
    If that is not an option - are there other interesting places to visit in and around the area - that might be unique for a bunch of city dwelling kids (from the CA bay area).
    There are some abandoned towns and old machinery in Mojave National Preserve -- but what I would recommend is stopping by Oatman on the way to Barstow -- it is a historic mining town and you can drive along Route 66!

Mark

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

A few hours North of Baker is Rhyolite:

(Editor's Note: Actually, it is about four hours north of Barstow -- it is located adjacent to Beatty, Nevada and therefore a ways outside of the posters parameters -- but I agree it is an interesting place to visit -- especially at dusk!)
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-04-2007 at 08:29 AM.

4. Default Thanks

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. It is very helpful.

joseph