1. Default First time cross-country - NY to SF

My husband and I are relocating from NYC to SF in August and want to drive across with our dog. We plan to take about 10 days and, being originally from Australia, have no idea which route to take or what would be good to see. My husband really wants to visit Chicago, but other than that we have no firm plans or really any idea of what is really worth seeing.
    Does anyone have any suggestions about what we should do / must see / or where to start with our planning?

2. Default

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and yours was one of the first messages I saw. I am moving from Rochester NY to Seattle WA this September and I'm doing the cross country roadtrip just like you guys. Here's a map of my trip. Unfortunately I'll be going a month after you so we won't be sharing the adventure, but fortunately, you'll have done it already and will be able to give me pointers :)

Tucson, AZ

Default Just to Get You Started

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It can be a bit overwhelming to stare at a blank map of a continent and try to decide what you'd like to see. So just to give you an idea of what others have done in the same position, I'm going to point you to a few threads where people have worked out their trips by discussing them on-line here. This should give you some ideas on both what's out there and how you might go about seeing the parts that appeal most to you.

Roundtrip Adventure from New York City
    May, 2004 Massachusetts -- West Bound!
    Help! Planning cross country trip, 1 month, Boston and back!
    March 2007 trip itinerary
    Coast to coast, what, where, how?

Those are some of the better recent threads on your general itinerary. They are not meant to be an exhaustive answer to your question(s) but just to give you some ideas. As you hone in on what you'd like we can be of more help. Be sure to let us know what kids of things, at least in a general sense, you and your husband like doing