1. Default Honeymoon Trip-Grand Canyon, Grand Circle & Yosemite Late May early June

Hi All! Very glad I found this site. For months I've been flying blind trying to coordinate a road trip for me & future wife's honeymoon. Two years ago I proposed to her on a 5 day road trip in a PT Cruiser Convertible from San Francisco to Las Vegas Stopping off at Yosemite and staying in Bishop, CA for two days (I proposed in Yosemite). When we were planning our honeymoon it was a no brainer to return to the Southwest.

This time around we've decided to rent an RV as a home base on wheels. Keep in mind that we are not hikers... we are not campers (those I have extensive experince in the latter)... we're just pure road warriors. We plan on alot of driving. We have a few hotel nights planned to break up sleeping in the RV. Just like some opinion on routes and whether this entire trip is feasilble. So far my itinerary looks like this...

Day 1 Sunday- Fly from NY to Las Vegas
    Day 2 Monday- Decompress
    Day 3 Tuesday- Pick up RV-Cruise America 25ft Class C- Drive to Sedona, AZ
    Day 4 Wednesday- Meteor Crater & South Rim (Stay in South Rim)
    Day 5 Thursday- North Rim, Horseshoe Bend, Glen Canyon (Stay in Fredonia or North Rim)
    Day 6- Friday- Drive W to E thru Zion Rt 12 to Torrey, UT
    Day 7 Saturday- Torrey, UT to Monument Valley, 4 State Point to Moab, UT
    Day 8 Sunday Moab to Park City, UT (Hotel)
    Day 9 Monday Stay in Park City (Midpoint break-Hotel)
    Day 10 Tuesday SLC to Reno, NV (Hotel)
    Day 11 Wednesday Stay In Reno (Hotel)
    Day 12 Thursday Lake Tahoe to Lee Vining (Stop off at Bodie and Mono Lake)
    Day 14 Friday Yosemite
    Day 13 Saturday Yosemite- to Bishop, Ca (Hotel)
    Day 14 Sunday Bishop to Death Valley to Vegas
    Day 15 Monday-Return RV Red Eye Flight Home

I have 1300 miles with my package but have budgeted myself 3200 miles plus $900 in gas.

Originally I had more crammed into this trip, (which also included traveling to Taos, NM and driving northward to Royal Gorge). My biggest concern is the first half of the week. For instance... should we stay in Sedona or press on to the South Rim? Is 10 hrs enough to drive the Grand Circle or should we cut it in half. If we do where do we stay? Torrey, UT? We're not planning to hike or horseback any part of the trip. I'm fascinated with old roads and towns. We're just looking to experience this trip purely from a paved road and a comfortable RV (maybe we'll have time to come back in the future). Any advice on where to stay or how to approach this trip is appreciated.
    Last edited by wheresgrant; 04-03-2007 at 08:01 AM.

Default Congratulations and Good Planning!

Quote Originally Posted by wheresgrant View Post
    Hi All! Very glad I found this site.
    Congratulations on the pending marriage and welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum. Over-all I would say that your plan is fairly reasonable, but I would urge you to slow down the pace a little. It takes some time to get used to living and traveling in a RV and I think you are going to arrive in Las Vegas pretty tired. First thing -- you ought to read this checklist and print it out and take it with you when you pick up the rental.
    we're just pure road warriors. We plan on alot of driving. We have a few hotel nights planned to break up sleeping in the RV.
    That sounds good. Another couple of articles that you ought to read would be:

The Art of RV Boondocking
    The different types of RV campgrounds
    The advantages of visiting National Monuments
    Day 3 Tuesday- Pick up RV-Cruise America 25ft Class C- Drive to Sedona, AZ
    You are going out of your way if your destination is the South Rim. You could also drive a very scenic portion of historic Route 66 if you went south from Las Vegas (via London Bridge) and drove over Sitgreaves Pass. When you reach Williams you can head directly to the South Rim.
    The next couple of days can be spent the area around Sedona and Cave Creek
    Day 5 Thursday- North Rim, Horseshoe Bend, Glen Canyon (Stay in Fredonia or North Rim)
    It is unlikely you can get the RV to Horseshoe Bend --- I would stay in Kanab -- nice campground. Here is a site with some nice planning tools for RVs in the American Southwest.
    Day 6- Friday- Drive W to E thru Zion Rt 12 to Torrey, UT
    Day 7 Saturday- Torrey, UT to Monument Valley, 4 State Point to Moab, UT
    Day 8 Sunday Moab to Park City, UT (Hotel)
    Day 9 Monday Stay in Park City (Midpoint break-Hotel)
    All sounds fun.
    Day 12 Thursday Lake Tahoe to Lee Vining (Stop off at Bodie and Mono Lake) Day 14 Friday Yosemite
    Unclear if the pass will be open then.
    Day 14 Sunday Bishop to Death Valley to Vegas
    This is a beautiful drive -- but here is an alternative via the ancient Bristlecone Forests
    Day 15 Monday-Return RV Red Eye Flight Home
    Quite an adventure.

Mark

3. Default

Thanks Mark.... this is a wonderful site! And really great advice. Thanks for the heads up on Tioga Pass. It's made me make an easy decision. I may skip Yosemite and plan it for another trip all-together. Yosemite Valley is easier to access from the west side and I'd waste 1/2 a day just getting to and from the Valley floor. I've been there before and I can return on another trip west.

I'm bypassing Page, AZ and Glen Canyon and will cross the Navajo Bridge to head toward the North Rim.

I still plan to drive to Reno and down thru Independence, CA however I won't have the extra two days invested in Yosemite. I think I may slow things down a bit so I'm not so rushed in southern Utah. I may skip Sedona altogether and instead tack on Durango, Silverton, CO to Moab (traveling from Bluff). Instinct and a desire to see the Colorado Rockies is pulling me east... even if it's a scant drive by. ;)

By the way. I'd live to share some pics and experiences from great scenic drives in NY and New England. I have great daytripper stuff (The Catskills, Vermont, The Adirondaks). Is there a place to post these types of drives?
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-03-2007 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Format for clarity

Tioga pass into yosemite is usually closed untile late may or june. You might be able to get to the north rim but nothing will be open yet. gas up b4 going!

Default Ride the Train!

I'm bypassing Page, AZ and Glen Canyon and will cross the Navajo Bridge to head toward the North Rim.
    Here is a view of the Navajo Bridge and good tall tale! Also a field report about the north rim.
    I may skip Sedona altogether and instead tack on Durango, Silverton, CO to Moab (traveling from Bluff). Instinct and a desire to see the Colorado Rockies is pulling me east... even if it's a scant drive by. ;)
    The million dollar highway is really, really great and the train ride is pretty cool too.
    By the way. I'd live to share some pics and experiences from great scenic drives in NY and New England. I have great daytripper stuff (The Catskills, Vermont, The Adirondaks). Is there a place to post these types of drives?
    We have a perfect spot for that -- post them on the Field Report section -- if you can we prefer to keep the images to no more than 600 pixels wide. Eventually we will provide a means to host hundreds of images on this site -- but still have some software logistical issues to resolve.

Mark

It'd be a shame to miss out the Horseshoe Bend, just outside Page, an amazing place. Talking to a couple of newlyweds that we met there, it's apparently a bit of a mecca for newly married couples who flock there to have some 'keeper' wedding photos taken.