Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default San Jose to Boston trip

Hello all,

I browsed through this forum and found some amazing stuff/tips. I'm planning to move to Boston and will be driving from San Jose, CA. Any idea how long this might take?? Also, I have a '04 Lancer. Would you suggest I drive my own vehicle or rent a car?

My planned stopovers are Denver & Milwaukee and definitely more .. any suggestions?? I have about 5-7days for this. THe route given by google maps is I-80E from Calif. and shift to I-90 in Ohio.

Greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ramanand; 04-03-2007 at 12:28 AM.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Your vehicle should be absolutely fine - just have it checked out by a professional mechanic before taking the trip (always good advice before any trip). Is this an investigative trip or the actual move?

Quote Originally Posted by ramanand
    My planned stopovers are Denver & Milwaukee
    Neither of these are on the direct route that you mentioned - are these places that are essential to your trip (do you have commitments)? The trip is around 3200 miles - 6 days of 500+ miles each day. It is definitely doable, just keep in mind that these side trips will add what looks to be a few hundred miles. Even given that, it looks like you should have an easy time finding places to stop along this route.

You could head down into Denver from Cheyenne on I-25, then head East out of Denver on I-76 to hook up with I-80 again from there.

I would break up your routing queries to Google maps to be able get better directions - ie San Jose to Denver, then Denver to Milwaukee, then Milwaukee to Boston.
    Last edited by Mass Tim; 04-03-2007 at 04:33 PM. Reason: proofread

Default Don't miss the Colorado Rockies!

Quote Originally Posted by ramanand View Post
    THe route given by google maps is I-80E from Calif.
    that is a good start, but I would shift down to I-70 and enjoy the magnificent San Rafael Swell and the Colorado Rockies.

Mark

4. Default

My move is because of shifting jobs. As mentioned, if I do take the I-70 detour to check out the Rockies, how much would it add to the trip in terms of time?

"Even given that, it doesn't look like you should have an easy time finding places to stop along this route."

That statement sounds a little scary:))

I can avoid Denver if need be but I guess Milwaukee is a committment thing.

Also what I noticed was I-90 is a little curvy on the northern side. I was wondering if it would be ok to continue on 80E into NY/CT and go north.

Default I-80

I think Tim may have mistyped, and ment that you shouldn't have any problem finding places to stop!

Dropping down to I-70 wouldn't add that much time, and it is a wonderful trip, but if you are already detouring up to Milwaukee and you only have 5-7 days for this trip, then I would stick to I-80.

As far as using I-80 as you move east, not only is it far less direct, but it also would take you into the teeth of the NYC metro area. I think you would be much better off sticking to I-90.

However, as an alternative, since you are coming from Milwaukee, you might consider taking the High Speed Ferry from Milwaukee to Michigan, and then head straight across Michigan, through Canada, and rejoin I-90 in New York near Niagara Falls.

Default Context is always a helpful thing

My move is because of shifting jobs. As mentioned, if I do take the I-70 detour to check out the Rockies, how much would it add to the trip in terms of time?
    4-5 hours.
    Even given that, it doesn't look like you should have an easy time finding places to stop along this route. That statement sounds a little scary:))
    I think it was a typo as Michael suggested.
    Also what I noticed was I-90 is a little curvy on the northern side. I was wondering if it would be ok to continue on 80E into NY/CT and go north.
    Sure..

"Even given that, it doesn't look like you should have an easy time finding places to stop along this route."

That statement sounds a little scary:))
    Yes - it was a typo. Didn't mean to scare anybody! It has been corrected.

8. Default

The days are nearing.. getting all excited. I have done trips on I-95 before from Boston to Virginia when I lived in Boston area but not this long. What is the speed limit that you guys urge me to stick to? A CB radio sounds like a darn good idea if that helps me with speed traps and general banter:))

9. Default Sounds Like A Great Trip...

First, an answer to your speed limit question. I'm an ex-New Yorker that has relocated to the Bay Area, and the "extra room" that the highway patrol gives us out here doesn't really exist in the middle of the country. I'd stick to within 5-7 miles per hour of the posted speed limit. The best rule of thumb...watch the locals. Find cars with local license plates, and gauge your speed based on theirs. I have a general rule, "don't pass a local car if they're driving at a reasonable speed."

Anyway, here's some route advice as well...

I strongly recommend I-70 through Utah and Colorado. If you take I-15 South out of Salt Lake City, there's an exit at Spanish Forks for Utah State Route 6. This is a great shortcut that takes you to I-70, and the little town of Green River. From there, you would be wise to check out Arches National Park, which is easily accessible and not very far from Green River.

From Denver, I'd suggest I-25 North and find a suitable highway to take you northeast into Rapid City, SD, which is along I-90. The Black Hills (including Mt. Rushmore) and Badlands National Park are both extraordinary places to visit, and there are plenty of other local attractions to check out as well. A great thing about the Badlands...there's a loop road that takes you right off of I-90, through the park, and then back to the highway. Only adds about 40 miles to your trip, and if you only stop at a few scenic overlooks and historical sites, about three hours to your drive.

Hope this helps.

Good hiking,

AB
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-04-2007 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added link to field report about Green River

10. Default

angusbangus... Thanks for ur awesome suggestions. I'm kinda deciding on whether I go the Badlands park, which is north or the San Rafael swell, as sussgested to me before, in the south. I little bit of a pickle actually.