Default Good Portable CB Radio?

Anyone know of any good portable CB radios? One's where you can take it from car to car basically (or use in a rental)....

This is the one I was looking at.

Does anyone have any experience with this one?

Default I have used the Cobra model for years

Quote Originally Posted by jesseschulman View Post
    Anyone know of any good portable CB radios? One's where you can take it from car to car basically (or use in a rental)....
    Here is an overview about CB radios.

Mark

Uh oh, I think my upcoming trip has just got more expensive..! Sounds like a fun addition!!

kitsune Guest

Do people still use CB? More importantly: do polite and decent people still use it? I haven't tried it in years and still don't good memories of it.

I currently do all my talking on the 2m band (146.52), but results in finding someone to talk to are mixed. I have been surprised to find that a lot of people on the road use FRS radios for car-to-car (mostly motorcycle-to-motorcycle) communication, but maximum power levels don't really permit much distance.

Default Well.... I use it.

Quote Originally Posted by kitsune View Post
    Do people still use CB? More importantly: do polite and decent people still use it?
    There are those who might take exception to the notion that I am polite -- but I use it just about every roadtrip. There is a good deal of trash talking in major cities -- 95% of that is morally-corrupt folks on powerful base stations who like to try and rile the drive-through truck drivers -- so, I usually turn down the gain when approaching major urban areas.
    I haven't tried it in years and still don't good memories of it.
    I have used the CB band since 1976 -- most fleet drivers are on the side-bands these days, but you can still find someone to chat with on channels 15 to 22 in most areas. Channel 9 is still monitored by REACT teams in most areas of the country.
    I currently do all my talking on the 2m band (146.52), but results in finding someone to talk to are mixed.
    I would have to say that CB conversation is mixed as well.
    I have been surprised to find that a lot of people on the road use FRS radios for car-to-car (mostly motorcycle-to-motorcycle) communication, but maximum power levels don't really permit much distance.
    Judy prefers to use FRS on her roadtrips, but I have never found much of an incentive to switch over.

Mark

Default Well, prefer is not really the right word for it

I go on several carabugs with other New Beetle owners each year. Most of these trips are just short one-day jaunts although, once in awhile, there's a multi-day event. Anyway, most of these folks aren't big road-trippers. So they're not going to invest in a CB radio. Some won't even invest in an FRS so, if someone has an extra one, they will loan them out to others. New people on their first carabug typically don't have one so they appreciate a loaner for the day. Since our own FRS came in a 2-pack, the extra almost always gets loaned out to a newbie.

FRS does work well for this purpose. If we get too strung out from each other, sometimes folks in the middle have to relay information to those in the back of the pack. But, overall, things work well.

We will also use them if we make a stop somewhere to explore. It's handy if someone finds something intriguing they want to share with others or if someone is late or lost to the meet-up point.

If we didn't have an FRS, we would be the only ones incommunicado with most everybody else in the carabug. So we bought an FRS. The times where there's not enough loaners to go around, the folks without one are at a definite disadvantage. And we don't just do road/routing info. There's a lot of fun and funny banter going on that I'd hate to miss.

They're not perfect but they serve a good purpose for a cheap cost. And, since they're pretty small, they're easier to fit in a pocket to carry around while walking around somewhere.
    Last edited by PNW Judy; 04-05-2007 at 08:16 AM. Reason: added comment

Judy, I can definitely understand the FRS for car to car stuff. I used to be huge into cars and had a nice car and went to car shows all over the eastern half of the country. Whenever we traveled as a group to a show on a small road trip, we always used FRS also. It's great for a small group to chat while traveling together.

But When taking a road trip with just your car, does a CB work good? Like can you get some decent info about accidents, road conditions, smokeys and the such from others out there?

Default I'm the wrong person to ask about that!

I don't have a CB. I think it sounds like a good idea but I've just never bothered to invest in one yet. My husband has a CB radio in his pick-up but he rarely uses it. I won it at an auction and had it installed for him because he does a lot of hunting and is often where his cellphone has no service. I figure if there was an emergency, a CB might be his only means of communication. I wish I had gotten a handheld model so we could move it to my car when we do road-trips. But, to be honest, I've never been in a situation where I've felt I've needed one either. Maybe if I had one, I'd find a reason to use it?

Mark and others here swear by their CBs (pun intended). With all their road-trip experiences, I figure they know what they're talking about.

Default Like, I said -- I never leave home without one!

Quote Originally Posted by jesseschulman View Post
    But When taking a road trip with just your car, does a CB work good? Like can you get some decent info about accidents, road conditions, smokeys and the such from others out there?
    I use it on every road trip.

One of the reasons I carry it with me, is the access to the five National Weather Service radio channels -- much easier than carrying a weather radio.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-05-2007 at 09:17 AM.