1. Default Queen Califia's Magical Circle

Let me throw in something that I stumbled across

Some months ago I had occassion to duck down into the Escondito, California area. This is an inland city, pretty much known for the San Diego Wild Animal Park and being a bedroom community to San Diego.

When I was poking around on Google Earth I hit this strange looking landmark called "Queen Califia's Magic Circle, and a linked web site . I was traveling down to Escondito and back from to pick up some specialized electrical equipment, and decided to stop here for lunch.

The Circle is hidden in back of Kit Carson Park, in the southern part of the city. This is a large urban park, and was a nice place to have a picnic lunch. But where was the circle?

Finally I spoted it, off behind some trees (turns out there's a more direct path, but that was closed for rennovation). This is a large ~ 200' diameter sculpture garden made of very brilliantly colored whimsical figures, including psuedo-totem poles. On a bright and sunny day, the colors are BRILLANT to the point that you almost have to wear sunglasses. There's a small mirrored maze to enter, and the entire garden is surrounded by two guarding snake scultures which are about 10-15 ' high and coil around the entire circle.

Quite a surprizing find in the back of a city park..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default This could be in our Marvel department!

Quote Originally Posted by Larrison View Post
    Finally I spotted it, off behind some trees
    Larrison, excellent find! If you have some more photos, perhaps you would like to submit for inclusion in the the RTA Roadside Marvels collection?
    There's a small mirrored maze to enter, and the entire garden is surrounded by two guarding snake scultures which are about 10-15 ' high and coil around the entire circle.
    Sounds very cool, thanks for sharing the discovery with us!

Mark

3. Default Kewl!

I have a bunch more pictures, so let me poke into the file and see if I can come up with a half dozen of so of sufficent quality for you? And I'll email them over to save space...

Default Very, very cool!

I just added this as a must see place on my planned trip to the Temecula/San Diego area this fall. Thank you!

Default Very Cool

I love finding random things like that.

Laura