Default Summer RV trip to Grand Canyon Etc...

Hi Everyone:

We are planning a two week trip to the Grand Canyon area this summer (July 14) for two weeks. We are renting an RV and driving for 10 days from Las Vegas and spending the final 3 days in Vegas on the Strip. Click here to see a proposed route we were thinking of taking. I would love to get any feedback from you experts out there who are familiar with this territory and have done this route before.

I guess some of the questions I have are:
    Is this trip feasible in 10 days?
    Can we extend the journey north up to Great Basin, or would it be too far?
    Should we make reservations for campsites ahead of time, and if so what would be some logical stop/RV camping points along the way?
    ANd finally, I have a 1000 mi. package with the RV, should I buy an extra 500 miles up front?

Love this web site! Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Rick

Default Thanks for the Reminder

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

That general itinerary is probably the second most talked about RoadTrip on these forums, and everybody has just a little bit different plan on how to do it and experiences that they take away from it. One of the things I like to do every so often on these much discussed treks is to occasionally gather up some of the best threads in one place. Your request was the perfect opportunity for this trip. So without further ado, I give you 5 of the most recent (of several hundred) threads on this topic:

Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce and Monument Valley
    Nevada / Utah / Arizona / California help ??
    Road Trip Vegas Zion Canyon Bryce
    Arizona/Utah National Parks
    Help planning 10 day trip around Grand Canyon and Las Vegas

Many of these trips are remarkably similar to what you have in mind, while others may lead you down roads you hadn't considered. But all will give you insights into your upcoming vacation. As to your specific questions: 10 days is quite adequate to do this trip, but I don't think I'd stretch it to include the Great Basin. You've already got some of the greatest scenic country included - spend your time enjoying it rather than adding to the driving. If you plan to stay in the National Parks, by all means look into reserving campsites. It may already be too late, but at least you'll know and can start looking into the availability of sites in state parks or commercial campgrounds. Where to stop is really up to you and what's available, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out roughly how many days you'll want to spend at each park and book your campsites accordingly. Even your straight shot mileage is already over 1000 miles, and you will be taking side trips, so I suspect it would be better to buy that next 500 miles rather than worrying about scrimping on miles during what should be a carefree time.

AZBuck

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

Quote Originally Posted by myriad View Post
    Hi Everyone:

. We are renting an RV and driving for 10 days from Las Vegas and spending the final 3 days in Vegas on the Strip.

I guess some of the questions I have are:
    Is this trip feasible in 10 days?

Rick
    Oh yea Rick 10 days would be a very comfortable trip.

Make all your campground and show reservations now.
    The two main RV campgrounds are Circus Circus (KOA) on the LV Strip, and Sams Town on Boulder Hy some distance from the strip.

Their are others, but these two seem to be the most popular with the RV groups we run with.
    We prefer Sams Town, but Circus Circus is in the middle of the Las Vegas energy and activity if that's what you are seeking.

Default Shake-down tips for those first days

We are renting an RV and driving for 10 days
    We suggest you read these tips and print it out and take it with you when you pick up your RV rental.

Mark

Default Thanks for all the suggestions!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Can anybody suggest a good RV camping ground outside of the Hoover Dam area. We will probably stop there first on our way out of Vegas.

Rick

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Can anybody suggest a good RV camping ground outside of the Hoover Dam area. We will probably stop there first on our way out of Vegas.

Rick
    You're gonna be at Lake Mead so check your map, and perhaps these will do.
    You'll want 30 amp electrical service to run your air conditioning & make sure you can re-set the campsite circuit breaker yourself, not wait until the next day for an employee to do it.
    Yeah, some campgrounds are like that.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 04-02-2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Preferred Link Format

Default Sample itinerary for our trip... what do you think??

A big thank you to everyone who gave us suggestions & comments. Here after much research, is our itinerary:
    (Campgrounds in Red are reserved)

Sat July 14 - Arrive Las Vegas, Camp in Lake Mead RV Village (need suggestion for a first night near Vegas - but hopefully not in Vegas)

Sun July 15 - Hoover Dam then proceed to Grand Canyon (camp @ Mather Campground)

Mon July 16 - Tour Grand Canyon (camp @ Mather Campground)

Tues July 17 - Head to Marble Canyon (Stay at Wahweap Marina Campground)

Wed July 18 - Monument Valley camp @ Goosenecks, To Be Decided (any suggestions for camping near here???)

Thurs July 19 - Stay at Devil's Garden Campground (can't reserve, seems to be first come first served)

Fri July 20 - Island in the Sky/Canyonlands (can't reserve, seems to be first come first served here too)

Sat July 21 - Goblin Valley - Fruita Campground/Capitol Reef (can't reserve, seems to be first come first served here as well)

Sunday July 22 - Bryce Canyon (Camp in Park)

Mon July 23 - Zion (Camp in Park)

Tues July 24 - Valley of Fire (can't reserve, seems to be first come first served)

Wed July 25 - Return to Vegas drop off RV

Anyone who can provide any suggestions for the first come, first served areas would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Rick