Default Recommended Campgrounds

Hello,

What is everyone here's recommended U.S. campground? My personal favorite is the Jenny Lake campground in Grand Teton National Park. Its a beautiful drive there, and the views from the sites themselves are amazing. The only downfall (or advantage, in some eyes) is that its first-come first-served, so you have to get there at at least 7am to get a site.

Anyone know any lesser-known, beautiful, tent-only campgrounds?

Default Car camping or hike-ins?

Quote Originally Posted by brunch View Post
    I am not sure I could limit campgrounds to only one in each state, much less on a national scale. For your purposes, are you looking for walk-ins or campgrounds that can be done with car camping?

David Sweet, a roadtripping colleague, runs the About.com Camping site and he has published about 1300 reviews of campgrounds (submitted by his readers). Here is a link to the current list.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-02-2007 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Link to David's campground list

Probably car camping. I've never done much for walk-ins, but I'd be open to suggestions. I prefer to camp in mountainous areas such as the Rockies, Tetons, or Cascades.

L
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 04-01-2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Re-organized the threads (back to the way Brunch intended)

Default Camping in the Cascades

We actually tend to camp along the beaches, not so much in mountainous areas. Although we have done some camping in the Cascades in Washington state. It seems like, even then, we tend to find water. Some of my favorites are Lake Kachess and Lake Easton both on Snoqualmie Pass and Merrill Lake near Mt. St. Helens, and a nice campground on Rimrock Lake on White Pass but I don't recall the name and can't seem to find it (sorry).

Default Recommended Reading

There are great campsite all across the country, and I know I would have a tough time narrowing down my favorites.

However, if you are looking for some good ideas on places to go, I will recommend the "Best in Tent Camping" Series. I personally own the Wisconsin Edition but they also have a Minnesota guidebook as well as editions for many many other states. They are written by a couple different authors, so you may have better luck searching by title if you want the other editions.

I like the books because they highlight exactly the kind of sites that I look for. Quiet places that are really designed for tent camping - not the glorified RV park where you have to set your tent on a sheet of gravel 10 inches from your neighbors tent. In some cases, The books even highlight the exact spaces in a campground that are best suited for tent camping.

Default Roadie has a beaut!

Quote Originally Posted by brunch View Post
    Check out Roadie's latest photo and idea for a camping spot!

Mark

7. Default National Forest

I like Houston Recreation Area in the Bankhead National Forest in Alabama. Quiet,clean, good campsites. Has swimming area,not far from 25000 acre Sipsey Wilderness Area.which has many beautiful hiking trails. Ihere that many other NAt'l Forests have similar campgrounds

Default My favorite local place...local to me anyway

Driftwood Acres, Copalis Beach, WA.

The main part of the campground is the typical boring parking lot for RVs. But the tent-camping only place is a slice of heaven. It's down a narrow road, in one of the only privately-owned portions of old-growth forest around, bordering on the Copalis River just before it flows into the Pacific. The forest setting is wonderful and there are some nice trails through it. The river widens along the campground to create marshes that are home to ducks, cranes, and an occasional pelican. The campsites on the river-side are quite private, nestled behind various shrubs and smaller trees. The ones on the forest-side are not as private because there isn't much in the way of large shrubs there as their growth is stunted under the canopy of majestic evergreens. After the last campsite are trails taking you through a "forest" of driftwood out to the beach. Lovely.

Other favorite sites are hard to describe because they're out in hunting areas with no amenities or signs. My husband is a deer/elk hunter. Sometimes, in the summer, we'll go out in these woods and camp for the night. I won't go out there during hunting season...too cold and wet and I really don't want to be around dead animals, but it's lovely and quiet in the summer.

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

Santa Catalina Island is all tent only campgrounds, and they are all awesome.

Default Thanks for the ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Frank6160 View Post
    I like Houston Recreation Area in the Bankhead National Forest in Alabama. Quiet,clean, good campsites. Has swimming area,not far from 25000 acre Sipsey Wilderness Area.which has many beautiful hiking trails.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I think I have been in the forest, but I don' remember the Houston Recreation Area -- will have to check it out the next time I am back. My memories of campgrounds in Alabama include that amazing, red mud that seems so prolific in the area. And the friendly people, of course.

Mark