Default 3-Day Midwest Camping Trip

Hey all,

I'm a longtime camper, and my new boyfriend hasn't been camping since he was three years old! I want to introduce him to camping over Memorial Day weekend, but am not sure where to go. Somewhere with lots of sights to see and nice, accessible campgrounds. We live in Minneapolis, so somewhere 8-10 hours from here would probably be ideal. Black Hills, maybe?

Thanks a bunch,

L

Default Right place and time?

Quote Originally Posted by brunch View Post
    I'm a longtime camper, and my new boyfriend hasn't been camping since he was three years old!
    I wanted to welcome you to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- you will find several kindred spirits here -- most of the active roadtrippers on this forum are also longtime campers. I see you have made several posts -- we will get them responded to as we can.
    I want to introduce him to camping over Memorial Day weekend, but am not sure where to go
    There are so many places along the Great Lakes (Superior and Michigan). When is black fly season in Minnesota? Let me look through my notes and I will be back.

Mark

Default Along the Lakeshore

The Black Hills are always a nice option, but they might get a little crowded on a holiday weekend.

Over Labor Day last year, I did some camping near Pictured Lakes National Lakeshore in Michigan's UP. Between the National Park and the nearby Hiawatha National Forest, there are lots of camp sites available, both developed and dispersed. We wound up at a dispersed site that was all by itself and right along an inland lake. I had a great time, and really could have spent even more time exploring the area.

I'd also think about exploring some of the Parks north of Lake Superior. Pukaskwa National Park and some of the nearby Provincial Parks in Ontario are high on my list for visits in the near future.