Default las vegas to san francisco jan 08

I'm from the UK and I'm getting married in Las Vegas at the end of January 2008 and would like to hire a car and drive to San Francisco via anywhere of great interest.

I'm flexible with time and will hopefully have about 3 weeks for the trip in total. My questions are plentiful!! I would be very grateful if anyone could help with the following.

1. where should i go between Las Vegas and San Francisco?
    2. how long will the driving take and how long should i stay in each place?
    3. will i be able to hire a car in Las Vegas and leave it at San Francisco?
    4. how will the weather differ in each place?
    5. is this a good idea?

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default This is easily the most popular question here!

Welcome to the RTA forums and congrats on the upcoming wedding!

If you scroll to the bottom of this page, you will see links to other discussions about this trip. On each of those discussions, you can scroll down and find links to yet other discussions. Just doing this a few times should give you tons of great info. Also using the search function (in the above green band) will find you dozens of discussions as well.

Just a quick answer to your questions, and then I'll leave you to explore the other discussions for more info. After you've done that, feel free to ask more questions.

1. With 3 weeks you have plenty of time to explore numerous locations between Vegas and San Francisco. Just a few ideas would include Reno, Lake Tahoe, Death Valley, Lake Havasu, Phoenix, Los Angeles, the Pacific Coast highway, San Diego, and more. You would also have time to explore the beautiful coastline north of San Francisco to take in the Redwoods, Eureka, and the wine country. It's really up to you and what you're interested in. Just be aware that some of the roads might have snow at that time of year if you go up into the mountains and that a few routes will be closed. You can learn more about all of this in the other discussions.

2. By the quickest route, it's only 570 miles from Las Vegas to San Francisco. You can do this in about 10 hours. But, with 3 weeks, you can take as long as you want in any one place. I don't know how to answer that as only you know how long a place will hold your interest.

3. Yes, but you will probably have to pay a drop-off fee for not returning the vehicle to the same place you rented it. When exploring rental options, be sure to ask that question and compare rates as they vary.

4. Generally, it will be relatively warm in the lowlands in most places and quite cold in mountain areas. The exception will be San Francisco which is always chilly. You might visit The Weather Channel's website and enter some of the different locations you want to visit. Then click on "averages and records" to find out what average high/low temperatures are each month, precipitation each month, etc.

5. It's an EXCELLENT idea!