1. Default Nashua,nh to San diego,Ca

im moving back to california, i have a 2003 ranger 2.3L single cab that gets estmated 31 mpg, gunna have about 200lbs of crap in it. I done this trip last year but i went thru colorado and ohio and new york

i plan to drive 12-16 hours depending on fatigue on highway i usally drive 15 over( i do drive for a living so im pretty good with this ) get hotel rooms for all 3 nights.
    try to save as much money! Gas is so expensive now and im also worried about tornados in midwest
    i do have a cb radio aswell and plan to use that so i can be awar of hazards and speed traps

after reading this im considering going a southern route

im very open minded, please leave suggestions...

btw im heading out april 5th !

i have about 500 i can spend, but id like to save more

btw i plan on packing food with me.. Roman noodles for the hotels at night and complimentry breakfeast,
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-31-2007 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Preferred URL Format

Default That is really cutting it close

Quote Originally Posted by i4mmp View Post
    im moving back to california, i have a 2003 ranger 2.3L single cab that gets estmated 31 mpg, gunna have about 200lbs of crap in it. I done this trip last year but i went thru colorado and ohio and new york
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! By the shortest possible distance, it is ~3062 miles (using I-90 to I-70 to I-15) and if you use our Fuel Cost Calculator the fuel cost alone will be ~ $296. $200 is really pushing it when you factor in three motel rooms, contingency funds and food. It is possible, but it will be fatiguing. It sounds like you have plenty of experience and we wish you good fortune and dry pavement!

Mark

Default Yeah, really close!

Since you drive for a living, I suppose you know your limits. But that sounds like too many hours driving per day to me. I can do that for one or two days at most, but then I'm toast and need a lighter day of driving. I hope you'll listen to your body and rest when you need it. I've been known to pull over at a nice park, beach, or rest stop in the middle of the day and lay down with a blanket to take a nap.

Since your budget is so tight, you might consider sleeping one night in your vehicle at a truck fueling station like Flying J, or similar. One of our regulars does that a lot and she feels quite safe. I don't think you get the same rest as you would in a bed or a tent but it would save you some money. You might also want to consider camping instead of hotels. A tent site usually runs in the $15-22 range.

I would raid the fridge and pantry before you leave home and bring more than Ramen noodles. I can easily eat for 3 days out of my cooler if I leave with a good supply of fruit, cheese, crackers, nuts, sliced meats, tuna, veggies, etc. While many motels do have free breakfasts these days, many don't offer more than a muffin. A nice, filling spread is relatively rare. So I wouldn't count on that filling you up much unless you've done some research and know that the hotels you're staying at have a good spread.

4. Default

i would consider spending a night in the truck however, now this is with the door open so it looks a little bigger, even my nissan hardbody single cab is bigger.
    and being 6'1".
    here is basically what my truck is on the inside

About the camping in a tent its probley a good way to go, although im pretty paranoid about things like that, I have seen to much in my life, i lock my doors when i pull up to a pump and go and pay for gas.

i have toolbox that seals pretty good im thinking of just dumping ice in it and using it as an ice chest for goodies easy access, but then again i got one here so i can take it in the hotels.

As far as hotels i try to abuse them. ill usally get a good sleep 10 hours, get comp breakfeast ill jack 10 muffins and a whole plate of donuts , free soap and shampoo and towls shwing~ and free ICE!!

any advice on routes people? I dont want to many tolls, i dont wanna drive in snow if i dont have too
    Last edited by i4mmp; 04-04-2007 at 03:39 PM. Reason: opps

Default I thought you said you were a pro?

Quote Originally Posted by i4mmp View Post
    As far as hotels i try to abuse them.
    We don't sanction that kind of behavior here.

Good luck with your travel plans.

Mark