Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vegas for a week

Hi - I'm from Niagara Falls, Ontario and just found this cool site. Wow - loads of stuff. My husband and I are looking for a few good road trips around Vegas for when we travel in July. We want to spend a couple of nights in Vegas and the rest travelling around. I see a lot of recommendations for going to Bryce and Zion which look amazing but I'd also like to head over to Death Valley I think. It all looks so wonderful I'm not sure where to start.

Kathie

Default Have a Look

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First off, recognize that this site was founded by and is maintained by two current residents of Las Vegas, and they offer tons of things to do and great takes on Las Vegas. Also be sure to use the Search function to find threads where your destinations have been discussed previously. For example, I entered "Bryce Zion Vegas" into the Search and got back many threads, including this one which is almost exactly what you're looking for. So, continue to poke around. It's not that I don't want to take the time here, but there is already much better advice here than I can give you.

AZBuck

Thanks for the tips. Like I said - I didn't even know where to start. These simple tips helped :)

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

One drive we love from 'Vegas to Death Valley is on Blue Diamond Highway (NV-160) to Pahrump then onto Death Valley.

Along Blue Diamond Highway (Hwy 160 west) an interesting stop is the GoodSprings Tavern (in the small town of Mountain Springs, Nevada) It's the bar where Clark Gable waited while rescue crews brought down the remains of his wife Carol Lombard from a tragic air crash on Mt Potosi.

In addition, a nice little place to stop and scratch the surface of the area.

Mt Potosi can be spotted from the highway by a huge cross erected on the site paid for by Gable (so we're told)

In Death Valley, Scottys Castle is an interesting drive and we think worth seeing.
    If you find yourself low on fuel, the rangers can unlock the gas pumps at Scottys and sell you some in the odd hours BTW
    In Vegas, a romantic place my new wife and I love is the Fireside lounge, at the Peppermill (in the rear).

Hangin' out at the Fireside at the Peppermill, Las Vegas.
    Photo by Ross and Alice
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-30-2007 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Corrected navigation

Thanks Ross and Alice. The restaurant looks wonderful. This will be our first week away from our 4 kids (2 each) since we got married last summer and I'm looking forward to some romantic evenings.

I'm off to buy a proper map of the area now so I can start figuring out how far and how much I'm going to be able to get done in a far too short a period of time.

Kathie

Default Oh, So You Want Romantic

Then by all means get out to Valley of Fire State Park east of Las Vegas one evening for a sunset walk. An hour's drive or so from Las Vegas, but a world away from the glitz and glitter, a real chance to slow down and just enjoy each other's company in a beautiful setting.

AZBuck

Sounds amazing - I'll put it on the itinerary for sure.
    I was just reading through some other posts actually and I know that Bryce, Zion, and the Grand Canyon are all places I want to see but are we just nuts trying to do this in July! Is it going to be so hot that we can't walk any of the trails? I hope that I don't miss things simply because its too hot to get out of the car.

Kathie

Default Mad Dogs and Englishmen

Now it is true that July is the 'warmest' month of the year in Las Vegas, but if you plan on being out and about in the early morning and in the evenings, and take plenty of water, and wear a good wide-brimmed hat, and use plenty of sunscreen, you should be fine. Plan on being indoors and relaxing (this can include just driving in your air-conditioned car) during the heat of mid-day. There is a reason the siesta was and is popular in this part of the world. Even so, I guess I've become a bit acclimatized, and I go out for a two mile walk every day at noon here in Tucson. So, do what you can to mitigate the heat, but don't let it stop you from enjoying this unique experience you're about to have.

AZBuck

OK - We've looked at the map and have sort of planned out a route that I hope makes sense. Are we being too ambitious? We don't mind driving but I want to be able to get out and look around too. Keeping in mind that its July and it will be terrifyingly hot, I've tried to plan the mornings to explore. Then, having never been to Vegas, I do want to spend the last couple of days there.

I know that there has been a lot of talk about this area but I haven't seen anyone do the route we are thinking about.

Day one (Sat) - land in Vegas and sleep in Vegas
    Day two (Sun) - start out early and head to Bryce (stay at Ruby's Inn), checking out Zion on the way
    Day three (Mon) - (now this is the tough one I think - is it too much?) Drive from Bryce via #12, #95 to Natural Bridges Monument, #261,#163 to end in Kayenta.
    Day four (Tues) - Explore Monument Valley in the morning. Drive to Cameron in the evening. Stay in Cameron [or possible Best Western Grand Canyon].
    Day Five (Wed) - Explore Grand Canyon South Rim in the morning. Drive to Vegas. Stay in Vegas.
    Day six (Thursday) Golf - Need a nice golf course near vegas. Any ideas??Night in Vegas.
    Day seven (Friday) Vegas. Valley of Fire State Park for the sunset.
    Day eight (Saturday) Go home :(

Any advice in any small way would help. Thanks
    Kathie

Default Within Reason

No, I don't think that you're being too ambitious as long as you realize that you'll only be able to get a sampling of what this area has to offer in the time you have to play with. Nothing at all wrong with that; hopefully it will just whet your appetite to return for a more in-depth exploration at a later date. As you note, your longest day is Day three. As you have it laid out it is 'only' about 350 miles, but those aren't the fastest roads in the world, and you will want to spend some time taking at least short hikes in the parks. Also, stopping in Kayenta means you will have already passed through Monument Valley and would be backtracking to see it the next morning.

This is going to be a tough call. You can, if you keep an eye on the time, plan to be driving through the Valley (between Mexican Hat and Kayenta) at sunset. Most of the best mesas and rock formations are east of the highway and would be spectacularly lit at that time of day. Or, you might want to consider the possibility of making Day three a bit shorter (300 mi.), stopping on Monday night in Mexican Hat instead, getting a good night's sleep, and then driving through Monument Valley in the early morning light. As I say, a tough call, but one with no wrong answer.

AZBuck